Please please help Valentini Puffer

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My valentini usually wakes before the lights go on in the morning. This morning she was still asleep and slow to wake. The urchin was on the rock that she usually sleeps on so she was sleeping in a slightly different spot and was slow to wake. I then noticed she seemed bloated- not puffed. She colored up after she woke up and can swim ok, but she has been lethargic and didn't eat. I tried a deshelled pea, but she won't eat.
She is sitting at bottom of tank against the glass and breathing appears slightly labored.

Water parameters are good, but Sundays are usually water change day. I am just waiting for water to get to temp and will do that next.

Please please please help

I have done a bunch of research and the only success stories I am finding are from peas or just letting their fish rest. I haven't, so far found any success stories using epsom salt.
has anyone had luck with epsom salts?
... I am more than willing to try any and everything, but also don't want to add stress needlessly... I don't know what to do.
Does it look like bloat? Constipation?
There hasn't been any changes or new fish. Newest was urchin and bumblebee snails a few months ago.

20230204_103733.jpg 20230204_103521.jpg 20230204_102822.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! She is the best fish and it's so hard to see her so uncomfortable.
Really appreciate your help

OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video would help to better see the problem.
Epsom salt is generally better for freshwater fish.
Thank you posting video.
Apologies for dirty glass- deep clean is on Sundays
She has been in that same Spot - same demeanor for last hour.

Attachments

• 20230204_115223.mp4
    18.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My valentini usually wakes before the lights go on in the morning. This morning she was still asleep and slow to wake. The urchin was on the rock that she usually sleeps on so she was sleeping in a slightly different spot and was slow to wake. I then noticed she seemed bloated- not puffed. She colored up after she woke up and can swim ok, but she has been lethargic and didn't eat. I tried a deshelled pea, but she won't eat.
She is sitting at bottom of tank against the glass and breathing appears slightly labored.

Water parameters are good, but Sundays are usually water change day. I am just waiting for water to get to temp and will do that next.

Please please please help

I have done a bunch of research and the only success stories I am finding are from peas or just letting their fish rest. I haven't, so far found any success stories using epsom salt.
has anyone had luck with epsom salts?
... I am more than willing to try any and everything, but also don't want to add stress needlessly... I don't know what to do.
Does it look like bloat? Constipation?
There hasn't been any changes or new fish. Newest was urchin and bumblebee snails a few months ago.

20230204_103733.jpg 20230204_103521.jpg 20230204_102822.jpg

Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Epsom salts and peas are both freshwater remedies and don't work in marine fish. Both are also directed towards constipation, and as you pointed out, this fish is bloated. That is called edema and is a general condition related to the fish not being able to osmoregulate - maintain its bodily fluids with the seawater it is swimming in. There are a variety of causes for this - generally related to kidney or liver failure. The rapid breathing means the issue is systemic - involving the fish's entire body.

The second photo shows some odd black spots on the belly, as well as some faint indication of mucus coming off of the fish's snout. I wonder if this fish also has flukes? I don't know if flukes can also cause edema, or if there are two unrelated problems going on here. If it is flukes, a 5 minute FW dip might provide some temporary relief, but it could also kill the fish if the flukes are really heavy.

Sorry, I don't think this will end well for the puffer - are there any other fish in the tank? If so, are they showing any symptoms?

Jay

OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned down one of the wavemakers.
I didn't know if turning the lights off might help or if its better to just keep things typical and calm...
Here is what she usually looks like

Epsom salts and peas are both freshwater remedies and don't work in marine fish. Both are also directed towards constipation, and as you pointed out, this fish is bloated. That is called edema and is a general condition related to the fish not being able to osmoregulate - maintain its bodily fluids with the seawater it is swimming in. There are a variety of causes for this - generally related to kidney or liver failure. The rapid breathing means the issue is systemic - involving the fish's entire body.

The second photo shows some odd black spots on the belly, as well as some faint indication of mucus coming off of the fish's snout. I wonder if this fish also has flukes? I don't know if flukes can also cause edema, or if there are two unrelated problems going on here. If it is flukes, a 5 minute FW dip might provide some temporary relief, but it could also kill the fish if the flukes are really heavy.

Sorry, I don't think this will end well for the puffer - are there any other fish in the tank? If so, are they showing any symptoms?

Jay
Thank you so much for your reply.
Yes all other fish and invertsare acting, eating, swimming normally.
I have had her for over 2 years without any health issues.
No changes.
Good water parameters, but I am bringing water to temp to do water change.

OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
thank you for all of your help. I don't know if picture distorted or if i am just not seeing it, but can not see mucus. I haven't ever seen any flukes on her- not to say she doesn't have them.
Is there anything else I could do for the edema?
I really appreciate all if your help. She is the best fish and I want to do any thing I can for her

OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I found a post from humblefish recommending steroids to treat edema- but it was in a post about velvet, so I am not sure if applicable in this situation. Does anyone know of steroid treatment for puffer?

This is taken from humblefish post:
"
Edema reduction: Steroids

Just like giving a shot in the knee - it helps to reduce the swelling.

- Intramuscular dexamethasone with an estimated dose of 1-2 mg/kg into the muscle on the side of the dorsal ridge. (impossible to be precise in small fish)

I sounds difficult but it is not. A tuberculin syringe with a 27 gauge needle to draw up the solution and a 30 gauge needle to inject.

Following the above protocol, I have witnessed more than a couple of fish recover from assured demise.

I also recommend treating with chloroquine. Formalin unfortunately is an irritant and theoretically could worsen the gill edema.

BTW - the same protocol can be use with ICH."

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a post from humblefish recommending steroids to treat edema- but it was in a post about velvet, so I am not sure if applicable in this situation. Does anyone know of steroid treatment for puffer?

This is taken from humblefish post:
"
Edema reduction: Steroids

Just like giving a shot in the knee - it helps to reduce the swelling.

- Intramuscular dexamethasone with an estimated dose of 1-2 mg/kg into the muscle on the side of the dorsal ridge. (impossible to be precise in small fish)

I sounds difficult but it is not. A tuberculin syringe with a 27 gauge needle to draw up the solution and a 30 gauge needle to inject.

Following the above protocol, I have witnessed more than a couple of fish recover from assured demise.

I also recommend treating with chloroquine. Formalin unfortunately is an irritant and theoretically could worsen the gill edema.

BTW - the same protocol can be use with ICH."
I’ve never tried that, but it won’t cure the fish of the issue, only temporarily mediate the symptoms.
Jay

OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tried that, but it won’t cure the fish of the issue, only temporarily mediate the symptoms.
Jay
ThNk you so much Jay- I don't know what would be causing the edema... I am just at a loss. Nothing is working
Thank you for all of your advice and help!

OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She passed away about an hour ago. She had been resting an then suddenly started swimming irradically. She could no longer swim against the current, so I lightly held her in a less turbulent area.
Thank you everyone for all of your help

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the puffer. I have two in my tank a porc and a blue spot. You get attached to them pretty fast with their dog like personality. Anyhow people that don’t keep fish like us don’t get the attachment and disappointment when we lose one. Best wishes!

OP
OP
L

Lovelyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the puffer. I have two in my tank a porc and a blue spot. You get attached to them pretty fast with their dog like personality. Anyhow people that don’t keep fish like us don’t get the attachment and disappointment when we lose one. Best wishes!
Thank you, I can't stop crying. They really are the best. She would always follow me around the tank and was so aware at all times. I'm really going to miss her.
Thank you for your kind words. Hope the best for you and your fish

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back