• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Please remember that sellers on R2R are NOT allowed to ask for unprotected forms of payment (PP friends & family, unprotected Venmo payment, etc.)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal rant...pp is practically worthless for buyer protection.
Link your pp to a credit card.
Cc co. is orders of magnitude more likely to side with you.
I had an OBVIOUS bait (bought 2 battery powered saws, got 2 hand saws, had documents to prove it) and switch claim w/ pp.
Seller did offer a full refund if goods were sent to China. Note it was shipped to me from New Hampshire!
Cost of shipping was close to cost if purchase
Pp said that was ok..
Reported it to cc linked to transaction. Refunded me.

Funny thing that card got hacked a short while later for, oddly enough, a $200 meal in New Orleans. I also recovered those funds.

Odd coincidence?

Personally pp cares more about seller (income stream) than buyer.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are possibly a little incorrect - if there is a dispute - 1 your account has to be in good standing for 180 days. 2. you have to message the seller and try to resolve it - if it is not resolved you have to dispute it within 180 days - . Within 20 days of that if still not resolved - you need to escalate it to a Claim status and that needs to be done within 20 days. If not the dispute cannot be re-opened (i.e. you're out of luck) Previously (I think it still is) - the funds are held in the sellers account from the time you open the dispute to the end of the claim resolution. So let's say you buy a Frag Receive it on Tuesday - and it's dead - if you report it within the timeframe - you SHOULD be covered. Note - I can't find it on the PayPal website - but - on other articles - it states that PayPal does not cover living animal transactions.
I did indeed follow all these steps and was told by pp that there were no funds in the sellers account to recover my $80. So basically sorry your screwed, thanks for using pp. On another occasion my eBay account was hacked and a guy in china tried to pay himself $2000 for a bogus purchase. Luckily I didn’t have that much in my checking account. PayPal fought me tooth and nail to get the money out of me. Even threatened to send it to collections. Finally got a good pp service employee who actually looked at things and found in my favor. What a nightmare that was!’

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did indeed follow all these steps and was told by pp that there were no funds in the sellers account to recover my $80. So basically sorry your screwed, thanks for using pp. On another occasion my eBay account was hacked and a guy in china tried to pay himself $2000 for a bogus purchase. Luckily I didn’t have that much in my checking account. PayPal fought me tooth and nail to get the money out of me. Even threatened to send it to collections. Finally got a good pp service employee who actually looked at things and found in my favor. What a nightmare that was!’
No comment - have never had a problem with PayPal. I suggest you appeal - or you hadn't used the approved timeline - If not - yeah - you're right - they misused you - BUT - millions of people use PayPal - and very few havre these issues.

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand the protection for the buyer, but times have changed. I don’t feel like I should have to give Uncle Sam 20% of what I sell used lights for. Let’s be real, by the time I list what I want for an item, add 3.5% for PP fees, 20% for Uncle Sam, and the price of shipping, hell you aren’t far away from buying new price.
As far as the comments concerning no protection with Zelle…..that is completely FALSE. My daughter work at Flagstar bank here in Ohio, and with your debit card linked to Zelle, any purchase comes with protection from your bank. It’s no different than buying something with your credit card and not receiving the item.
I understand R2R wanting to keep scammers at bay, but they are just driving people away from R2R and onto Facebook. I sell Frags, but it isn’t worth the hassle of dealing with taxes and all the paperwork involved. Just my $.02

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as the comments concerning no protection with Zelle…..that is completely FALSE. My daughter work at Flagstar bank here in Ohio, and with your debit card linked to Zelle, any purchase comes with protection from your bank. It’s no different than buying something with your credit card and not receiving the item.
This actually isn't true according to Zelle.

From their website:

"Zelle® is a great way to send money to friends, family or others you trust such as your personal trainer, babysitter, or a neighbor. If you don’t know the person, or aren’t sure you will get what you paid for (for example, items bought from an on-line bidding or sales site), we recommend you do not use Zelle® for these types of transactions, which are potentially high risk.

Zelle® does not offer a protection program for any authorized payments made with Zelle® - for example, if you make a purchase using Zelle®, but you do not receive the item or the item is not as described or as you expected."

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally understand the protection for the buyer, but times have changed. I don’t feel like I should have to give Uncle Sam 20% of what I sell used lights for. Let’s be real, by the time I list what I want for an item, add 3.5% for PP fees, 20% for Uncle Sam, and the price of shipping, hell you aren’t far away from buying new price.
I understand R2R wanting to keep scammers at bay, but they are just driving people away from R2R and onto Facebook. I sell Frags, but it isn’t worth the hassle of dealing with taxes and all the paperwork involved. Just my $.02
you might need an accountant. lets say you paid 1000 for lights. you sell them for 300. you dont not pay tax on anything - you have a loss of $700. you ighf have to put in depreciation, etc. ie if you used the lights for 5 years. either way - youre better off than if you tossed it in the garbage. the its is not the PayPal fee

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I mentioned in my previous post, we have seen an increase in this practice, and we understand the frustration many people are feeling regarding the changes in tax rules. However, our priority as a staff is the protection of our community. Moving forward, violations of these rules will result in the loss of selling privileges. We are firm on this policy.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy and sell for profit then there are taxes involved. If you’re selling used items at below purchase price then at a minimum one gets to offset the sale price with cost. Hence, no taxes because you didn’t profit. Sadly, no deduction either unless one can prove this was a business and not personal hobby.

Don't necessarily need an accountant but one always helps.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • None.

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.6%

Back