• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Please remember that sellers on R2R are NOT allowed to ask for unprotected forms of payment (PP friends & family, unprotected Venmo payment, etc.)

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think should ban anyone asking anything other than pay pal. They all know better. No need to warn anyone scammers don’t warn anyone.

Ken Good

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the rules regarding payment through paypal. These rules protected me when an item was shipped and got lost. These rules place the risk of shipment on the seller and the transaction was not complete until the item was delivered. I received a full refund. Terrible situation for all, but these rules protect the integrity of the forum. Thanks again.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new not shipped or sold anything online and I have a question. Let's say you have a potential buyer and you are ready to ship. When will the buyer send the money? Before the item is shipped or after it arrives? I know this is a doltish question but I don't have the answer.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am new not shipped or sold anything online and I have a question. Let's say you have a potential buyer and you are ready to ship. When will the buyer send the money? Before the item is shipped or after it arrives? I know this is a doltish question but I don't have the answer.
Before the item ships

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if this is the most swift kick in the pants I've ever read. PayPal is not the end all be all of payment methods. Scaring people into believing that their life savings is going to possibly be taken, simply because others do not use pay pall is not a proper protection practice IMO. its promoting fear and distrust. Im an honest man always have been an I personally feel that being labeled as a potential crimnal simply because I use other forms of payments. Is also unfair an unjust. Millions of people use these group prohibited payment methods. Again IMO Yall need to get with the times and start using a washing machine instead of going to the river to wash your clothes. As for pay pal protecting us. That's not true either the very first transaction I had in this group, I used PayPal for the first time ever, I mailed off my item after the transaction was done via pay pal., got an email via this group from the buyer saying the item was great. PayPal starts calling me months later and said they filed a dispute and I failed to respond to it.. I NEVER KNEW ABOUT IT CAUSE I DONT USE IT or check check emails regularly In the end they got their money back an my lights. and PayPal is billing me.. im srry but pay pal is not the best money transfer method out there. Yall do nothing for seller protection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well if this is the most swift kick in the pants I've ever read. PayPal is not the end all be all of payment methods. Scaring people into believing that their life savings is going to possibly be taken, simply because others do not use pay pall is not a proper protection practice IMO. its promoting fear and distrust. Im an honest man always have been an I personally feel that being labeled as a potential crimnal simply because I use other forms of payments. Is also unfair an unjust. Millions of people use these group prohibited payment methods. Again IMO Yall need to get with the times and start using a washing machine instead of going to the river to wash your clothes. As for pay pal protecting us. That's not true either the very first transaction I had in this group, I used PayPal for the first time ever, I mailed off my item after the transaction was done via pay pal., got an email via this group from the buyer saying the item was great. PayPal starts calling me months later and said they filed a dispute and I failed to respond to it.. I NEVER KNEW ABOUT IT CAUSE I DONT USE IT or check check emails regularly In the end they got their money back an my lights. and PayPal is billing me.. im srry but pay pal is not the best money transfer method out there. Yall do nothing for seller protection.
David, your feedback is noted. Unfortunately, due to more instances than we prefer to recall where buyers have payed through Venmo or PayPal Friends & Family (against our warning) and been scammed, the rule stands that sellers are not allowed to request payment through unprotected forms of payment. This doesn't have to be PayPal, but it does have to be a form of payment that offers buyer protection.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up for those who may not have seen the rule or have forgotten it.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never sold anything on here but am trying so can you guys tell me what forms of payment are on to use?
PayPal (Goods and Services) is what most people use.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do sellers usually send an invoice? Is there any negative to doing this?
I think that's actually a great way to do it. I don't see any issue.

SoftballReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Will there be any revision to this due to PP changes?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-153203_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-153203_Facebook.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you use Zelle? It's bank to bank but not protected.
No. Our policy requires it to be a payment system that offers arbitration/protection for buyers (this does not apply to in-person transactions). The reason for this is that you should never send unprotected funds to anyone you do not know personally. There are too many scammers who try to take potential buyers' money without sending the promised merchandise (equipment, livestock, etc.). This policy protects our community.

SoftballReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
No. Our policy requires it to be a payment system that offers arbitration/protection for buyers (this does not apply to in-person transactions). The reason for this is that you should never send unprotected funds to anyone you do not know personally. There are too many scammers who try to take potential buyers' money without sending the promised merchandise (equipment, livestock, etc.). This policy protects our community.
yall have any tips for the Facebook asking for a receipt from your supplier? I don't have a supplier and sometimes my receipt from when I bought it is over 6 months old. maybe we can only sell stuff that's under 6 months now. or move to Facebook groups for the selling portion.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you telling us Paypal now requires a receipt showing we purchased what we are collecting money for? Where is this document?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yall have any tips for the Facebook asking for a receipt from your supplier? I don't have a supplier and sometimes my receipt from when I bought it is over 6 months old. maybe we can only sell stuff that's under 6 months now. or move to Facebook groups for the selling portion.
I think perhaps you meant "PayPal" rather than "Facebook"?

We've looked into this a little further, and it seems this is not a new policy from PayPal, so nothing should be changing. As people have already been selling and using PayPal, it seems they're fine to continue to do so. If PayPal were to ask this of you for selling coral, (based on what I've read) I think you could probably simply provide a statement that you are selling corals grown in your saltwater aquarium and do not have a supplier as this is not a resale transaction. I'm not an expert on this, so I encourage you to do your own due diligence. As of now, I'm not aware of anyone who has had any issues related to this policy.

Btw, Facebook has a strict policy against selling live animals, so Facebook groups participating in this are in violation of Facebook's policies and in danger of being shut down (many FB groups already have been shut down for this reason), so I don't recommend moving to FB groups for selling.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%

Back