• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Please remember that sellers on R2R are NOT allowed to ask for unprotected forms of payment (PP friends & family, unprotected Venmo payment, etc.)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone, as a reminder, sellers are NOT allowed to ask buyers to send payment as a gift (either via the Paypal Friends and Family option, unprotected Venmo payments, Western Union, or any other option that negates buyer protection). Any sellers who are shown to be asking for payment in these forms may lose their ability to access the marketplace at all.

Buyers, please beware of any requests to send payment in these ways. This is a large forum, and while most transactions are carried out with no issues, you should never gift money to anyone you do not know personally. Sending payment as a gift removes any protection available to you through the payment services you utilize.

Here's some tips everyone should read before buying or selling online: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/watch-out-before-buying-or-selling.201631/

Additionally, it is also against the rules to ask buyers to pay for selling fees or taxes in addition to the selling price. All selling fees and taxes must be built into the price. Here are our selling forum rules: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/selling-trading-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.115471/

EDIT: Venmo now offers payment protection, but it has to be selected for each transaction (the buyer has to click the button to turn it on). R2R does recognize and allow payments to be requested through Venmo with buyer's protection turned on.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never buy ANYTHING without PayPal online! Having protection is a must, especially is the seller is unknown! I'll echo that any seller that doesn't allow a pay service that has protection built in to go through is a red flag!

Also, Having a bank app that alerts you of purchases is a must in this day and age as well! Check your accounts frequently!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up again

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reminder bump!!

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you meet in person cash is a good option.

This is what I've been wondering about. I totally get ordering online or mailing an item, you should only use PayPal Goods & Services, but what about local in-person sales? When I go pick up a coral from someone locally, I always pay cash. Are we allowed to pay by PayPal Friends & Family or Venmo? We're seeing/holding the item before paying and it doesn't seem any different than cash.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I've been wondering about. I totally get ordering online or mailing an item, you should only use PayPal Goods & Services, but what about local in-person sales? When I go pick up a coral from someone locally, I always pay cash. Are we allowed to pay by PayPal Friends & Family or Venmo? We're seeing/holding the item before paying and it doesn't seem any different than cash.

I would say at the point that you are dealing face to face that is out of R2R control.

I think the main reason for the precautions on payment methods that do not offer protection is to reduce the likelihood of someone scamming members by taking payment and not sending the item.

One of the #MODS may chime in on this.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will double check but I believe that In person does not require PayPal because you can see and inspect the item before the transaction. With that being said, you can still use PayPal if you wish.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say at the point that you are dealing face to face that is out of R2R control.

I think the main reason for the precautions on payment methods that do not offer protection is to reduce the likelihood of someone scamming members by taking payment and not sending the item.

One of the #MODS may chime in on this.
That's exactly it - we just have the rule to protect those remote from another. If you're dealing locally and in person, you can use other means - but do understand that it does become an "as-is" sale.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking to protect us, why is there a better buyer/seller rating system?
We used to have a decent one, and there's still one coming. It was supposed to have been in place by now, but things happen.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there has always been, and still is, the feedback forum for everyone:

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an example of why you should only use PayPal - Goods and services. Keep in mind that 99.9% of people who are scammed do not actually get their money back and it was pure luck that the people in this thread did.

Even if the user has a long post history always go the extra mile to protect yourself!

And... @jessezm deserves the excellence award imo, #MODS .

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We used to have a decent one, and there's still one coming. It was supposed to have been in place by now, but things happen.
The rating system needs to be visible.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's exactly it - we just have the rule to protect those remote from another. If you're dealing locally and in person, you can use other means - but do understand that it does become an "as-is" sale.
^THIS!^

We're definitely not going to tell adults who are meeting in person how to handle their own business transactions. Our goal here is simply to help protect the community from scammers. That is the entire reason for the rule.

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, this is a super stupid question, but I’ve never used PayPal before. When I sell something, how do I request payment from the buyer? What info do I need?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright, this is a super stupid question, but I’ve never used PayPal before. When I sell something, how do I request payment from the buyer? What info do I need?
Open a paypal account.
Once it's open, you tell the buyer your paypal email ( the one you started the account with ) and they send money to you.
There is a way to send a invoice to request money, but I don't use that. I think it's more of a business tool
It's really pretty simple.
The one thing people object to is the 3.5% fees the seller pays ( taken out of the transaction,, no bill is sent) when the money is sent as goods or services. When sending money as friends or family there are no fees, but no protection either.
There is a rule here to prohibit the asking for money via friends or family because, most people are honest, there are always a few people who try scam others and they make the rule a must.
Your sales price you ask for must include the fees.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back