OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My mixed reef. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

My mixed reef. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, tired from golfing the last 3 days and falling asleep.

Your tank is amazing . Some amazing fish you have . When I watch the video . I am staring more at your fish than the corals . The layout of the rocks and corals are great too

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is amazing . Some amazing fish you have . When I watch the video . I am staring more at your fish than the corals . The layout of the rocks and corals are great too
Actually the corals are just a bonus and some extra $ fragging them I give local guys great deals. The fish I treat like my 3 dogs, they are not for sale and I keep them entertained by throwing in a hundred hermits here and there. My Clown Trigger passed away 4 months ago and I'm in the process of what to add. I'm only worried about the Broomtail wrasse with a new fish. Any ideas welcome.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It happens. I did the same when I started. You get excited and want all different types. Better off going with less and letting them grow out. Coral warfare is one of the bigger problem especially in a mixed reef. It’s a catch-22. You want your corals to grow, but when they grow and kill other corals you want them to stop growing. Here’s a few pics of my mixed reef.
CD1D40A8-33FA-4317-88C7-DD4B58800C8F.jpeg
6CB583A0-AFFF-4631-89BA-67D961EA9DC5.jpeg
This is fantastic tank design and coral display . Ok I am going to look into what u advised about aqua scape . Talk about coral warfare . I already have mushrooms killed by anemones . Then two days later , same anemones got killed by frogspawn .

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fantastic tank design and coral display . Ok I am going to look into what u advised about aqua scape . Talk about coral warfare . I already have mushrooms killed by anemones . Then two days later , same anemones got killed by frogspawn .
Thanks, start by grouping like corals together. This way they can touch without issue, except for some minor exceptions.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It happens. I did the same when I started. You get excited and want all different types. Better off going with less and letting them grow out. Coral warfare is one of the bigger problem especially in a mixed reef. It’s a catch-22. You want your corals to grow, but when they grow and kill other corals you want them to stop growing. Here’s a few pics of my mixed reef.
Do u have powder blue and powder brown in the same tank ? I heard it’s almost impossible to keep both togather

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have powder blue and powder brown in the same tank ? I heard it’s almost impossible to keep both togather
No, have a powder blue, purple, Naso, and hippo. It can be done. Gotta introduce at the right times, get similar sizes, etc.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that was great advice on the coral warfare, I even put frags of them together to see who kills who. Have figured out what kills what in the last decade of starting wars between corals learned alot.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ya that was great advice on the coral warfare, I even put frags of them together to see who kills who. Have figured out what kills what in the last decade of starting wars between corals learned alot.
Wow , don’t know that . It’s hard to estimate distances to put them when they are still frags

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mostly LPS now but for decades I kept everything in this tank. No problems as they are all similar to water flow, light etc.

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that hard. There are so many different corals to choose from, through trial and error you’ll find which ones can co-exist in your set up. You can place the sps in designated higher light and flow areas and then the lps in more shaded areas. Just don’t glue anything permanently so you can reposition them easily if they are in a spot in the tank they don’t like.
423F1FEA-4104-401E-8DF7-707E9A10C414.png

LucentFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others mentioned, you can get more rock to build up to layer the light levels. Alternatively, you could add an additional light (or raise % on that side) on one side of the tank and make that side the SPS side. Also you can add more flow to just one side more easily than the whole tank if you go that route. PAR meter would be very helplful to map out the sections.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mixed 15 gallon, SPS, LPS and Softies all in one! Monti's, Acro, Frogspawn, Brain, Shrooms, Zoas, Protopaly's. Quite the mixed bag.

Reef61L-2023-02-26.jpg

My 25 gallon back in 2018, before it got wrecked with a cotton candy algae outbreak I lost control over. Also had problems with snail-killing worms Fulgida worms, that also made a habit boring into coral skeletons, so it ended with my precious wall hammer dying from the inside, and a total structural collapse of my frogspawn colony.
BigReef2018-Open.jpg

All the SPS colonies in this tank were grown purely from frags, with exception of the Porites.

Back