Status
Not open for further replies.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said the tank is fine the way it is.

I don’t want my investments to end up dry on the floor one day. If they tell me it’s ok do I take their word?

I don’t have experience with this, that’s why I’m asking for opinions. They said it’s not worth touching. Do I keep pushing them? I don’t know.
I would trust their advise on the tank.

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would slop in something for the heck of it before you put the wood around. Spray foam shouldn’t be a problem, they sell minimum expanded kind, and white, and you can go light and do a few passes and then trim excess. Or slop something that doesn’t expand. Or even a small wood shim in the corners or a stack of quarters. But I also think it’s probably ok as is.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to this whole aquarium thing but no way i would allow foam on the bottom of my tank. I like my stuff to look good and imo that looks terrible. And i assume you paid a pretty penny for it to.
It’s going to be covered with a frame. You won’t be able to see any foam. The foam is to reduce pressure points.

Ideally, the foam wouldn’t be so high like that though. And it would be much neater.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to ask them how we can fix it. I just want to bring the tank forward because the entire back of the tank is hanging off the foam by a little (including the back corners). But the issue is that they might have the redo the plumbing.

It’s difficult to get them to fix stuff once you already paid them for the job. I had to go back and fourth with them a lot.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to ask them how we can fix it. I just want to bring the tank forward because the entire back of the tank is hanging off the foam by a little (including the back corners). But the issue is that they might have the redo the plumbing.

It’s difficult to get them to fix stuff once you already paid them for the job. I had to go back and fourth with them a lot.
Sounds like a terrible company to me CS wise.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait wait wait…

The company who built the tank installed it like that? That is completely unacceptable. That looks horrible.

I will state again, you need to drain and place a full bottom support beneath tank. 3/4” ply would work. It will probably last a while but there is stress on that corner. One day it will fail because of that.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to this whole aquarium thing but no way i would allow foam on the bottom of my tank. I like my stuff to look good and imo that looks terrible. And i assume you paid a pretty penny for it to.
For rimless tanks, especially larger ones, you must have some sort of leveling mat/foam. Many custom tank manufacturers recommend using styrofoam like the piece under Miami's tank although a cleaner looking option is a neoprene mat.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait wait wait…

The company who built the tank installed it like that? That is completely unacceptable. That looks horrible.

I will state again, you need to drain and place a full bottom support beneath tank. 3/4” ply would work. It will probably last a while but there is stress on that corner. One day it will fail because of that.
Even if 3/4 ply is used, some sort of leveling mat will be needed.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For rimless tanks, especially larger ones, you must have some sort of leveling mat/foam. Many custom tank manufacturers recommend using styrofoam like the piece under Miami's tank although a cleaner looking option is a neoprene mat.
What’s better to use in my case? I messaged the builder’s employee and told them I wanted it done right. I don’t care if I need to spend more. I don’t want to have all my livestock on the floor from this stupid thing. I’m so ticked because I just want to enjoy my tank but these “issues” are just coming up.

I’d much rather deal with dinos and algae lol.

My biggest fear is the manufacturer will one day ghost me. It’s my biggest fear. I don’t have evidence they would do such a thing, but with all the “problems” I keep coming up with, I just feel like they would.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s better to use in my case? I messaged the builder’s employee and told them I wanted it done right. I don’t care if I need to spend more. I don’t want to have all my livestock on the floor from this stupid thing. I’m so ticked because I just want to enjoy my tank but these “issues” are just coming up.

I’d much rather deal with dinos and algae lol.

My biggest fear is the manufacturer will one day ghost me. It’s my biggest fear. I don’t have evidence they would do such a thing, but with all the “problems” I keep coming up with, I just feel like they would.
I have not read all 14 pages of your build thread, but posts in 64 and 66, you listed other issues (plumbing) with the builder. Did they fix all these problems already? If not I suggest you talk with the owner in person and come up with a plan to correct everything that doesn't meet your expectations. If he is resistant to doing this at no cost, offer to pay a reasonable amount for the workers' time, but be firm about wanting things done correctly.
And get EVERYTHING in writing from now on so they can't say you approved something you did not.
(*I realize it's easy for me to tell you to spend more $, but at this point, it may be the only way to get this resolved since the tank was installed several months ago.)
I'm sorry you're running into so many problems, but at least you're identifying them now instead of after a catastrophe.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read all 14 pages of your build thread, but posts in 64 and 66, you listed other issues (plumbing) with the builder. Did they fix all these problems already? If not I suggest you talk with the owner in person and come up with a plan to correct everything that doesn't meet your expectations. If he is resistant to doing this at no cost, offer to pay a reasonable amount for the workers' time, but be firm about wanting things done correctly.
And get EVERYTHING in writing from now on so they can't say you approved something you did not.
(*I realize it's easy for me to tell you to spend more $, but at this point, it may be the only way to get this resolved since the tank was installed several months ago.)
I'm sorry you're running into so many problems, but at least you're identifying them now instead of after a catastrophe.
Yes, all the previous problems were resolved. It took lots of back and fourth with stress involved on me, and extra money, but it got resolved at the end.

I think this foam issue should be the last issue. The tank was fine for over a month until someone brought this potential issue to my awareness.

The lady messaged me back saying she will show my message to the owner, so I am not being ignored. I will report back on what they plan to do.

Thank you so much Erin! You are the best!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all the previous problems were resolved. It took lots of back and fourth with stress involved on me, and extra money, but it got resolved at the end.

I think this foam issue should be the last issue. The tank was fine for over a month until someone brought this potential issue to my awareness.

The lady messaged me back saying she will show my message to the owner, so I am not being ignored. I will report back on what they plan to do.

Blushing Tbs Network GIF by American Dad

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm glad you are addressing it. I saw it immediately in the other thread and thought it was something that needed fixed. I'm glad someone else brought it to your attention though. HAHAHA I don't want to always be the Bad News bear in the group :face-savoring-food: I'm hoping that they will work with you on this and not make it a stressful interaction again.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had to pay for them to fix their issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back