Please would someone be able to ID this?

Burtie4382

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi peeps, hope your all well, new to this group so I hope I have done it right. Please would anyone out there be able to Id the creamy coloured bubble looking thing on this mushroom coral rock I bought? I have no idea what it is. Thank you very much for your time

FB0A2653-D7D3-4829-8F03-3097F8A74FEA.jpeg

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell, but I am thinking it is a patch of bacteria. I have seem similar globs in the past when dosing carbon heavy resulting in a significance increase of sytem bacteria populations.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally up to you. They were harmless in my tank, but that is personal preference.
Wait to see what other replies you get if a little more confirmation is wanted.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did it look like in the water? Could be a sponge as well, but if you have it out of the water already I’d probably recommend removing it. Foreign object that’s not recognizable should be removed for safety.

OP
OP
Burtie4382

Burtie4382

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did it look like in the water? Could be a sponge as well, but if you have it out of the water already I’d probably recommend removing it. Foreign object that’s not recognizable should be removed for safety.
Hi, thank you for your time, we have already placed it in the tank as it was a few days ago but after trying to find out what it is I have had no luck, so I thought I would see if anyone on here knows. We have broke the rock up I have tried to take a picture and it looks more brown in the tank this was the best I could get, any ideas? Thank you very much

5AC45CCA-487A-4114-AF9A-6E5800D14B2F.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi not getting a real good look at ,poss nem,mush ,i think i see a foot??? unable to zoom in ;)
edit:2nd pic blur,sorry,does it do anything open and close ,get bigger n smaller?

OP
OP
Burtie4382

Burtie4382

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a sponge... Kind of looks like a mushroom or anemone foot folded up, maybe bleached mushroom on its way out... or a bleached anemone on its way out.

Is it soft and come apart if you poke it, or is slimey, squishy or hard?
Thank you, It’s not really changed other than in colour since Thursday. I haven’t actually touched it my partner has so il get back to you regarding how it felt but it looks squishy and like eggs

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, It’s not really changed other than in colour since Thursday. I haven’t actually touched it my partner has so il get back to you regarding how it felt but it looks squishy and like eggs
Looks like in the last pic its turning green? Like the original mushrooms from the rock? Its hard to tell from the pic, but it may have just been a bleached mushroom among the others that may have been shaded, had something on top of it, or last to recover if they were all in bad shape.

OP
OP
Burtie4382

Burtie4382

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Could be a sponge... Kind of looks like a mushroom or anemone foot folded up, maybe bleached mushroom on its way out... or a bleached anemone on its way out.

Is it soft and come apart if you poke it, or is slimey, squishy or hard?
I am told it is slimy and firm ish but we think it closes up at night like coral, any help?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably not a sponge, lol. Probably a very upset/bleached mushroom or anemone. If I were a betting man, I would bet its the same mushrooms from the rock that is not doing so hot.

I have TONS of ricordea and every so often, one polyp out of the dozens I have will just bleach, shrink and die for no apparent reason. Just make sure the other mushrooms look healthy and I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to look like a pest anemone.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back