PLM-ADIN for power monitoring on Profilux 3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to set up power monitoring using my Profilux 3ex. My plan would be to use a UPS on one of my power bars, then plug in the DC return and Profilux on this power bar, and utilize another wall outlet to power a relay that would communicate the power failure to the PLM-ADIN. When power failure is sensed it would trigger a power cut profile to only power the return and profilux from the UPS until I can manually switch to an alternate emergency power backup, like an inverter from my car, or an inverter generator.

I understand I can use the PLM-ADIN and an RJ45 breakout to connect a relay, but I am unsure what relay and power supply to use for this. I haven't been able to find a lot of information regarding this usage, mostly just about toggle/push-button switches.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way to do this on a P3 would probably be too get one powerbar that you can connect to its own PAB contact. Only that powerbar on that PAB circuit. Configure two of the outlets for the return and the P4 and configure these for On at initial set up. For the function - always on. Best is to let the other 4 outlets unused and if you use them - you need to arrange the way you propose - with an add-in card that with help of a relay (On when its not affected) will send a signal to a digital input. This input trigger a maintenance program that shout of all the other outlets on that powerbar and (if you have a 1-10 V managed return pump) let the return pump go down to 10 - 20 %

All other equipments to the other PAB circuit and get the power direct from the wall (no USP)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Lasse. Searching for a relay is a bit overwhelming. Do you have a suggestion on what to look for to narrow the relays down, feel like I'm missing some keywords when trying to look one up.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a 12V dc power and any 12 relay or a 5v power adapter and a 5v relay and connect relay to plm-adin.

As long as the power supply is supplied, the relay is closed and in the event of a power failure the relay opens, triggering the powercut procedure

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gaël In this case - it is a P3 - I´m not sure the power cut works like it does in P4 (in that case - he/she needs no relay) If he/she use the type of relay you suggest he need to have one that´s is normally closed and open if there is power in the grid. With most relays - it is possible to chose the normal situation (normal in this case means when not activated)

I use this type of relay + plinth (sorry - its swedish but you get an idea

1614847022879.png

1614847107526.png

Google-english = 2-pole relay 240 V AC 10 A / 250 V and Relay socket for DIN rail

More translation

2-pole relay with coil voltage 12 V DC. NC or NO (opening or closing). For soldering, flat pin connection or placement in base (36103). Maximum load: 10 A at 250 V AC or 24 V DC. Resistance: 160 Ω. Power consumption: 0.9 W. Dimensions: 35x28x22 mm.​
Relay socket for DIN rail
Base with screw terminals for mounting relay on DIN rail. Maximum load: 250 V AC, 10 A.

Sincerely Lasse

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gaël In this case - it is a P3 - I´m not sure the power cut works like it does in P4 (in that case - he/she needs no relay) If he/she use the type of relay you suggest he need to have one that´s is normally closed and open if there is power in the grid. With most relays - it is possible to chose the normal situation (normal in this case means when not activated)

Sincerely Lasse

No, Powercut detection with Digital Input (on P3 and P4) work like this:
Power Cut is triggered when selected Digital Input is OPEN. A relay must keep it closed continually, so when no power, relay open and Powercut is triggered

Only difference with P4 is that P4 offer Powercut detection with Power Monitor Port and PLM-ADIN input while P3 only offer detection with PLM-ADIN.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m sorry - I did not remember that a power cut could be initiated in P3 in the maintenance program part. If you use that and run all of your GHL equipment through the UPS - your right.

However in my example I show a way to do it without running all equipment through the USP and not using the power cut function (because I thought that it did not exist on P3) - just a maintenance program - and even without using any AD-IN card at all if you want to do it in a simple way.

So if you use the power cut function in the maintenance program - use the contacts that is on when the relay is working (coil voltage on)
If you do not use the power cut function in the maintenance program - just to want to trigger a maintenance program - use the contacts that is on when the relay is not working (coil voltage off)

As normal - GHL give you options

Sorry if I sound confused

Sincerely Lasse

Back