PLS-50 Elite II and Mode Aquariums

ChaseMiddleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my surprise, around 4:00pm, less than 48 hours after I had ordered it, this non-descript brown box showed up on my doorstep.

85FAE663-CD1C-4A78-A690-F7868F7FEE68.jpeg

A quick unboxing had an instruction card (whcih was just north of being completely useless) and all of the parts neatly packed in a foam box.

CE27CF21-BD09-4030-8F0A-42419C689B0F.jpeg

Using the picture from the Mode Aquariums Website for comparison, here is the "old" version and i will point out as many differences that I can find between what is shown and what was delivered to both myself and Toddah.

PLS-50 vII.jpeg

First, the version I received appears to have a different pump, OR... it's a red version of the same pump. (Pretty sure its i a completely different pump) As you can see from the picture, the pump is not threaded and is just friction fit into the bottom of the skimmer. I was a litle concerned at first, but the fit is nice an snug and I got over it.

D2F18C19-1F41-4CB0-B1AC-4BD19926821A.jpeg

Next, the skimmer cup has been redesigned and is where the majority of the new features/changes come into play.

Now, the collection cup has an integrated silencer ibuilt into the cup. As you can see, there are two ports on the bottom of the cup. The large one on the left is the drain which comes WITHOUT a plug (more on that later) The smaller port on the right side of the bottom of the cup is the built-in air silencer. The old version had a silencer as a separate attachment. I kind of like this change, as you dont have that old dongle flapping around (and we all know how painful THAT can be! - Badda-BING!)

The next picture shows some sort of adjustable air inlet on the collection cup lid, with no notification on how it is to be used. Will need to fiddle a bit to figure it out.

C1B7B8AC-06A8-421D-B2D1-FD42215AE130.jpeg

7B698744-362E-47F0-80B5-E25796BDB18C.jpeg

The next difference is that the collection cup does not have a stopper plug on the bottom drain, but it does come wit an ~9" length of hose and a faucet style end piece. It would have been nice if they had incleded a propper stopper for the cup as well, but I kind of like this change in general.
C2ABC486-1601-493F-B6B4-D87683D08987.jpeg

Pictures of the collection cup neck and collection cup flanges. Not sure if the older version. had these or not. I was under the impression that they were just friction fit, but I could be wrong.

119085F8-ECAE-47BC-99B7-657E76FD6A6D.jpeg

3B344526-8ED7-4AFB-ACA5-2DDD17D6AD3F.jpeg

Here it is in my tank, moments after giving it power. It is hard to see, but below the collection cup junction, there are lots of bubbles.
24D78C62-5C88-4157-9BBC-B316E3F25AF1_1_201_a.jpeg

As i write this, i realize that I negelcted to take a picture of the unit fully assembled. (See Toddah's post linked on the post above if tyou want to see more pictures)

What has not changed from the previous version is the high quality, sturdy plastic. (It seems quite solid) and the ports on the bottom. to control wather flow and the air bubbles. As in the previous version, twisting the skimmer body while it is hanging on the tank allwos you to open and close the ports on the bottome of the skimmer to increase or decrease the flow, raising and lowerig how far up the neck the bubbles travel.

When I had seen Toddah's post, I had originally though this was a completely differewnt skimmer. I don''t believe that to be the case. I think it is still teh same skimmer, but with a couple of tweaks or "itterations" if you will... This might also help explain why they were hard to get for a while. Different parts and retooling held up by global shipping and supply chain issues? Just a guess?

All I can say is that if you are looking at getting one, they seem to be readily available and my turn-around time was about as fast as one could expet. I am VERY pleased so far.

Regardless, hope to get it dialed in and get some thick, nasty, skimmate going.
My IOAOI skimmer looks exactly the same as your PLS-50 Elite II. TBH, looks like they just purchase from the same manufacturer and stick their names on it. But I only spent $70. Even the packaging is the same.
6C7B8FCA-D678-4327-AC59-03D7C53797D8.jpeg
BD2B4848-8921-4266-9203-CA2B85B340C9.jpeg
BB2D57DD-6DA5-4155-98E5-341BA7A8585C.jpeg
7CE1907D-5B73-4C26-8BC7-5022D4D51A2D.jpeg

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IOAOI skimmer looks exactly the same as your PLS-50 Elite II. TBH, looks like they just purchase from the same manufacturer and stick their names on it. But I only spent $70. Even the packaging is the same.
6C7B8FCA-D678-4327-AC59-03D7C53797D8.jpeg
BD2B4848-8921-4266-9203-CA2B85B340C9.jpeg
BB2D57DD-6DA5-4155-98E5-341BA7A8585C.jpeg
7CE1907D-5B73-4C26-8BC7-5022D4D51A2D.jpeg

That's great news! Goods to know the AliExpress links do in fact provide cheaper alternatives. As you indicated, it looks EXACTLY like mine, however the pump looks different. Just curious if there is a maker and part number on your pump? It might be nice to have that information in case we need to get a replacement pump in the future.

ChaseMiddleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news! Goods to know the AliExpress links do in fact provide cheaper alternatives. As you indicated, it looks EXACTLY like mine, however the pump looks different. Just curious if there is a maker and part number on your pump? It might be nice to have that information in case we need to get a replacement pump in the future.
I actually bought mine off Amazon.com. I’ll look at the pump and see if there’s a part number when I get home. I feel like these specific style pumps are hard to find on their own.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought mine off Amazon.com. I’ll look at the pump and see if there’s a part number when I get home. I feel like these specific style pumps are hard to find on their own.
You should post the Amazon link so the community knows where to go to get it.

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey does anyone know what size tube I need to attach to PLS-50 to run a waste line for skimmate? Curious how other folks did it. Thanks.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey does anyone know what size tube I need to attach to PLS-50 to run a waste line for skimmate? Curious how other folks did it. Thanks.
I bought 6 feet of Natural Soft Silicone Tubing 3/8" Inside Diameter (Sold by the Foot) - Silcon tubing from SaltWaterAquarium.com (They are currently out of stock) I am sure you could find it on Amazon though.

In post #10, I mention that I added the tubing and send it to a home-brew collection cup.

IBernE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a replacement impeller or a replacement pump. Any update on the link to the Amazon listing for the replacement pumps?

IBernE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@IBernE, if you need a replacement pump for MagTool (make sure its the right pump and fittings); email MagTool seller on Amazon and ask for just the pump. They will sell you one. Approx. $30ish.
I need it for the pls 50 elite ii. Seems to be they're very similar. Would it work?

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need it for the pls 50 elite ii. Seems to be they're very similar. Would it work?
I really don't know. But they look similar enough and worth the risk. In the worst case, if the new pump doesn't fit on your current Cadlight Elite 2, just buy a whole MagTool skimmer, you then will have a spare pump for it.

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 6 feet of Natural Soft Silicone Tubing 3/8" Inside Diameter (Sold by the Foot) - Silcon tubing from SaltWaterAquarium.com (They are currently out of stock) I am sure you could find it on Amazon though.

In post #10, I mention that I added the tubing and send it to a home-brew collection cup.
Thanks Maximus! Big help.

IBernE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know. But they look similar enough and worth the risk. In the worst case, if the new pump doesn't fit on your current Cadlight Elite 2, just buy a whole MagTool skimmer, you then will have a spare pump for it.
I emailed them and they said they won't sell the pump alone. Thanks for the suggestions though. I may have to buy a brand new skimmer =\

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them and they said they won't sell the pump alone. Thanks for the suggestions though. I may have to buy a brand new skimmer =\
I guess teh good news is that if you use the AliExpress links in this thread, then you are looking at less that $100. I paid twice that from Mode and I have been very happy with it. Paying double digits for the same thing is a steal IMO

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess teh good news is that if you use the AliExpress links in this thread, then you are looking at less that $100. I paid twice that from Mode and I have been very happy with it. Paying double digits for the same thing is a steal IMO
Basically, somehow many different manufacturers or sellers (e.g. MagTools or whoever) got the patent right from the original skimmer designer, then put their own labels on the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) skimmers. That's why you see many different brand names on virtually the same design skimmer. Prices on those same skimmers vary depend on the grade of the product (e.g. A grade or B, etc.) and the how the sellers market their own product and/or customer services.

TLDR, those are OEM skimmers with different brand names om them.

reef50g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize no one has posted on this thread in a while, but it seems like the longest and most thorough about the Mode skimmer so hoping I can get some help.

I got mine last week (around 1.5 weeks after ordering) and have it set up in the second chamber of my Fusion Pro 2 50 without the hanging bracket. Been running for 8 days now. My issue is constant overflowing, even with the skimmer turned so it is all the way open. If I did not have the collection cup drain hose on and open running back into the tank, the collection cup would be full and overflowing in under a minute. I have cut pieces of eggcrate to raise the skimmer out of the water more, but after a couple hours it will again start to overflow. I do not want to raise the skimmer out of the water any higher, as it is already higher than any pictures I have seen of others using it.

I am hoping this just has to do with the skimmer breaking in. Any advice? If I can't get it figured out I will definitely be looking at other options.

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize no one has posted on this thread in a while, but it seems like the longest and most thorough about the Mode skimmer so hoping I can get some help.

I got mine last week (around 1.5 weeks after ordering) and have it set up in the second chamber of my Fusion Pro 2 50 without the hanging bracket. Been running for 8 days now. My issue is constant overflowing, even with the skimmer turned so it is all the way open. If I did not have the collection cup drain hose on and open running back into the tank, the collection cup would be full and overflowing in under a minute. I have cut pieces of eggcrate to raise the skimmer out of the water more, but after a couple hours it will again start to overflow. I do not want to raise the skimmer out of the water any higher, as it is already higher than any pictures I have seen of others using it.

I am hoping this just has to do with the skimmer breaking in. Any advice? If I can't get it figured out I will definitely be looking at other options.
If you can raise it higher and keep it closed. I had the same issue for 2 weeks and then it was smooth sailing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back