Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chrisdonzella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Cadlights version of this skimmer in an IM Lagoon 50 and it fits in the 2nd chamber perfectly. I know there are others on here who have ordered this new one from Mode and it has also fit. If the size has changed recently then that would definitely be a bummer because it’s the best skimmer hands down for smaller tanks as long as it fits.
I just got mine on Monday and it is the new version. It barely fits in the 2nd chamber *without* the hanging bracket, almost too snug. But I then loose the height adjustment. It does however fit perfectly in the 1st chamber with the hanging bracket.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my skimmer sucks and I want this for my IM30L. The second chamber is exactly the same as 50 Aio. Should I get the newest version or the second version (posted two above)?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my skimmer sucks and I want this for my IM30L. The second chamber is exactly the same as 50 Aio. Should I get the newest version or the second version (posted two above)?
If you are talking about the one in my post that looks just like the PLS-50ii then yes, that’s what I’d get if the chambers are the same size. We know the PLS-50ii fits. The newer one seems to be a struggle in the second chamber based on what people are saying.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did jinx myself :frowning-face:

Got woken up by some gurgling-like noises early this morning which at first I thought were coming from my apartment radiator, only to realize it was my skimmer. By the time I ran out of bed to power off the unit, the pump just stopped. Dead. Turned it off and on, but nothing.

Don't know why the pump failed after just a week of operation. Going to try emailing the company in the hopes something can be done to replace the pump.
Has anyone had any luck in getting a response back from the company on any inquiries or emails? I still haven't received a response on my busted pump after 2 emails. I don't even know how I would be able to send the unit back for a refund.

For the record, the unit was working great for the 1 week I had it wet, until the pump failed.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck in getting a response back from the company on any inquiries or emails? I still haven't received a response on my busted pump after 2 emails. I don't even know how I would be able to send the unit back for a refund.

For the record, the unit was working great for the 1 week I had it wet, until the pump failed.
I’ve heard people had success contacting Mode via Facebook. You might try that if you have an account.

chrisdonzella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally added the skimmer to my tank and when I powered it on, the pump started grinding and then died within 5 seconds. As far as I can tell, it is "mostly" sealed and since it is under 2 weeks old, I reached out to Mode Aquariums to see how to get a new pump.

I have done a quick search but I am unable to find a "like" pump that "could" work.

Hopefully I hear back in a day or so.

Anyone know of a replacement pump that I can pick up somewhere quickly?

-Chris

IBernE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the magnet in the impeller busted. I think, for some of us, just changing the impeller might help if we can't get a new pump.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck in hearing back from Mode? They never got back to me via my emails, but did respond when I messaged them via Facebook. I sent them pics of my busted pump at their request, but haven't heard back since...which reminds me that I need to follow up to see if a replacement is possible.

chrisdonzella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck in hearing back from Mode? They never got back to me via my emails, but did respond when I messaged them via Facebook. I sent them pics of my busted pump at their request, but haven't heard back since...which reminds me that I need to follow up to see if a replacement is possible.
I heard nothing - several attempts. Since I paid through Paypal, I opened a dispute, they never responded to that so Paypal refunded me the full price.

I ended up getting a MagPool Nano DC skimmer. I received, opened and whats crazy is that (less the logo), it is the Same Exact skimmer, and almost $100 cheaper. Pump is the same.

This one works. Still breaking in but I am happy with it.

-Chris

JcSH2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed one in the 2nd chamber of my new IM Nuvo Pro 30L. It fit snuggly without the bracket, but sitting all of the way on the bottom allows for zero adjustment. Even with everything dialed down as far as possible it would fill the cup with very wet skim overnight.
My solution since I couldn't add the bracket, (and didn't want to give up the first chamber) was to add 5 Marine Pure ceramic balls from my other tank. I then trimmed an extra media rack shelf I wasn't using and placed that on top. This platform raised the skimmer around 2" and now allows the adjustments that I needed.

I have to say, for the size of this skimmer it is DEAD silent and I'm very happy with it so far. My version is the newest Elite II with the integrated silencer cup.

Hopefully this helps someone who is trying to use the skimmer in the same sized chamber.

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a IM 40 fusion pro right now, and I have no clue what kind of skimmer to get or what will fit in the second chamber. I was going to get the one from IM but that’s out of stock for months. I thought about this pls 50- elite but not sure it will fit and there customer service sounds horrible. So I don’t know maybe the K1 Nano for awhile till I figure things out.

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - did you have any luck connecting with them? I tried a few times and haven’t received a response. I’m bummed out. I’m looking for a slim skimmer to fit in one of the accessory chambers in a Nuvo40.

chrisdonzella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - did you have any luck connecting with them? I tried a few times and haven’t received a response. I’m bummed out. I’m looking for a slim skimmer to fit in one of the accessory chambers in a Nuvo40.
No response - at all - 3 different ways of trying.

I got my money back through a Paypal dispute and I bought a different skimmer.

As good as the reviews are, I would try to stay away. I had a good experience (contrary to others) until the item was shipped, then it all went down hill from there. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the came broken and tried for too long to get support.

Good Luck!
-Chris

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No response - at all - 3 different ways of trying.

I got my money back through a Paypal dispute and I bought a different skimmer.

As good as the reviews are, I would try to stay away. I had a good experience (contrary to others) until the item was shipped, then it all went down hill from there. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the came broken and tried for too long to get support.

Good Luck!
-Chris
Hey Chris, if you don’t mind me asking, which skimmer did you go with? Trying to find one to fit in the second chamber of a Nuvo 40

chrisdonzella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris, if you don’t mind me asking, which skimmer did you go with? Trying to find one to fit in the second chamber of a Nuvo 40
I ended up with a MagPool Nano DC skimmer. In summary, it is 99% identical to the PLS.

I had in in the 2nd chamber for about 2 weeks. It fits but you cannot use the height adjustment clip.

With the water level changes (even with my ATO), it made dialing in the skimmer VERY difficulty.

I just this past Friday got rid of the filter sock and put it in the overflow chamber. It has been dialed in very quickly and woks well so far. Time will tell.

Good luck!
-Chris

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Debating now between Magtool and Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. Really want to keep floss/socks in intake chambers

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Debating now between Magtool and Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. Really want to keep floss/socks in intake chambers

I had a short and simple comparison between the PLS-50 Elite 2 and AquaMaxx HoB 1.5 on the first page of this thread.

If you use hang-on-back with HoB 1.5, it ignores the sump water level completely. Hence, this makes skimmer adjustment stable and 100x easier!

If quietness is the primary concern, get the PLS-50 Elite 2. As long as you keep the skimmer intake/pump clear of debris , for instance, fragments of chaetos, it should be dead silent. I put my PLS-50 in the hang-on-back chaeots refugium, so I need to put a filter mesh around the nose of pump intake and clean it often. Otherwise, it makes rattling noise, mess up skimming as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back