Plumbing 101 question

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to replace one of the ball valves on my Red Sea Max S400.

These look pretty nice, but how do I know what size I need? Does the 1/2" to 2" in sizing available refer to the diameter of the pipe fitting on either end? The radius? The length? How can I measure my current one to ensure I get the correct replacement size?

As I said this must be plumbing 101, but I have no idea.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to replace one of the ball valves on my Red Sea Max S400.

These look pretty nice, but how do I know what size I need? Does the 1/2" to 2" in sizing available refer to the diameter of the pipe fitting on either end? The radius? The length? How can I measure my current one to ensure I get the correct replacement size?

As I said this must be plumbing 101, but I have no idea.
I’m with you there, it depends on the manufacturer I think. Sometimes it’s the inside sometimes it’s the outside diameter. I would try to go to a local Home Depot or something, take the PVC you do have attached (assuming it’s 1” or something similar) find their generic ball valves. See which one fits, and then get that same size online.

you could also order both and then return the one you don’t need if that’s an option also. Contact brs customer support also? Throwing out some options :)

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you there, it depends on the manufacturer I think. Sometimes it’s the inside sometimes it’s the outside diameter. I would try to go to a local Home Depot or something, take the PVC you do have attached (assuming it’s 1” or something similar) find their generic ball valves. See which one fits, and then get that same size online.

you could also order both and then return the one you don’t need if that’s an option also. Contact brs customer support also? Throwing out some options :)
It's not dependant on the manufacturer. In standard US imperial pvc plumbing it refers to the internal pipe dimension. So anything rated at a given size, say 1" or 1/2" per se will fit anything rated at the same size for fittings whether they be elbows or valves etc whether it's schedule 40 or 80. In the case of schedule 80 the wall thickness increase but it will still conform fit wise to the standard dimension as rated. The fitting you referenced is a schedule 80 fitting. I'm not familiar with red sea set ups but some of those prefab kits are built with metric plumbing which aren't compatible with imperial standards. Hopefully someone can chime in on that part.

The more I think about it I'm pretty sure red sea uses metric if not their own 'OEM' standard. I doubt that without some sort of weird adapter that cepex won't fit in.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not dependant on the manufacturer. In standard US imperial pvc plumbing it refers to the internal pipe dimension. So anything rated at a given size, say 1" or 1/2" per se will fit anything rated at the same size for fittings whether they be elbows or valves etc whether it's schedule 40 or 80. In the case of schedule 80 the wall thickness increase but it will still conform fit wise to the standard dimension as rated. The fitting you referenced is a schedule 80 fitting. I'm not familiar with red sea set ups but some of those prefab kits are built with metric plumbing which aren't compatible with imperial standards. Hopefully someone can chime in on that part.

The more I think about it I'm pretty sure red sea uses metric if not their own 'OEM' standard. I doubt that without some sort of weird adapter that cepex won't fit in.

So it’s dependent on whoever is making the PVC, Red Sea vs cepex whether or not it will fit...

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s dependent on whoever is making the PVC, Red Sea vs cepex whether or not it will fit...
Sorry, I'll clarify by saying a given pipe or fitting is manufactured to a standard regardless of who makes it. I believe most common imperial pvc pipes found in the US are made to ASTM Standard (D1785 - 60) and metric follow EN ISO 15493. Red sea likely sources the pipes it uses in it's kits from some source that builds to a metric specification. Some manufactures of pipes produce both imperial and metric.
Red sea doesn't make the plumbing they simply source it from a manufacturer that makes pipe to a metric standard. This makes sense as they are built in China and materials sourced over seas are more likely to be found and at lower prices than imperial specifications are.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back