Plumbing 120 dual megaflow quality?

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this standard plumbing that came with this aqueon 120 gonna last?

The bulkheads have barbed ends, which for now, I'm okay with. But they don't feel "sturdy?" I'll be using a syncra sdc 7.0, a "y" valve with some 1" vinyl tubing.
Is that gonna be too much for the bulkheads/tubing? I've read a few posts and am trying make sure I don't fall on my face out of the gate. I'm sure I've got more questions but this will help me tremendously!

received_668234420865425.jpeg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you support your 1 inch tubing with proper clamps there shouldn't be much (or any) stress on the bulkheads. If they really feel that flimsy then swap them out with new ones.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you support your 1 inch tubing with proper clamps there shouldn't be much (or any) stress on the bulkheads. If they really feel that flimsy then swap them out with new ones.
I'll have good clamps on it for sure. Anything outside the water will be hose clamps from HD. Then ratchet clamps for anything submersed. I did order new bulkheads for when I want to make a change or have issues.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a clamp for the hose that goes on the pump, plastic ratchet clamps aren't gonna do it. Do you any ideas? Stainless steel? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220122_124923.jpg
    20220122_124923.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 31

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a clamp for the hose that goes on the pump, plastic ratchet clamps aren't gonna do it. Do you any ideas? Stainless steel? Thanks!
I am not sure why you would think that the ratchet clamps won't work. Lots of people use them with success. Were you thinking about zip ties/cable ties?

Here are the clamps for that vinyl tubing. And the tee.
Ratchet clamps at BRS x 7
Barbed tee fitting at BRS x1

How do you have the return line hoses attached to the sump(yellow arrow)? Is it glued? Even if it is a tight fit to the pipe, I would add 2 clamps there as well.

Or am I confused and you are you are asking about mounting clamps for attaching the tubing to the stand?

I am pretty sure this is what you are trying to do. Let me know.
Screenshot_20220122-145457_Chrome Beta.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These type of clamps work well. You screw them to the stand. https://www.acehardware.com/departm...F-U95oh15YlvJXIYjMBoCeIIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You'll want to get all the slack and bends out of those drain lines. I like rigid pvc, but not everyone does.

That plumbing system works fine, and will last basically forever. The downside is that it can't handle much flow without being noisy. I would recommend looking at Herbie style drains, with returns over the back, before you fill the tank

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why you would think that the ratchet clamps won't work. Lots of people use them with success. Were you thinking about zip ties/cable ties?

Here are the clamps for that vinyl tubing. And the tee.
Ratchet clamps at BRS x 7
Barbed tee fitting at BRS x1

How do you have the return line hoses attached to the sump(yellow arrow)? Is it glued? Even if it is a tight fit to the pipe, I would add 2 clamps there as well.

Or am I confused and you are you are asking about mounting clamps for attaching the tubing to the stand?

I am pretty sure this is what you are trying to do. Let me know.
Screenshot_20220122-145457_Chrome Beta.jpg
That's exactly what I was going for. I was asking about the clamps. I've glued return pipes and drains to sump. I think I'm going to find a zip tie to use on the return pump! Those ratchet clamps aren't working for me.

Attachments

• 20220126_183529.jpg
    20220126_183529.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 19

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back