Plumbing a redundant return pump

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used 92 gallon Red Sea aquarium with 16 gallon sump. I’m plumbing the sump into the mechanical room of the house which is directly behind the wall where the aquarium will sit. There in an overflow tower in the center back of the tank which has three outlets. I have an eflux 6010 (1900 gph) which I plan to use for my primary return. I would like to add redundancy to the return pump (i was actually able to pick up a tunze 1073.050 for free.

With only one input into the tank, how do I plump a back up?

My concern is that if I use a t-junction, pump A will be slightly stronger than pump B and force some water back down the other pump B.

Is there a way for my apex to evaluate the function of one pump and if it is not working, switch over to the other? How would I plumb this?

I have pictures if that is helpful

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I would look at a y-adapter rather than t-adapter - as that will impede the flow less. Second, you would probably need to look at something like a check valve on each pump outlet between the pump and y-adapter to prevent water backflowing through the other pump.

Depending on the pump type, yes - there are ways to program your Apex to compensate for redundant pumps and one failing. You usually need to be able to control/monitor this through Apex, which limits this to COR pumps or ones that can be controlled with IOTA.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it doesn’t work like that.

The two pumps will be fighting each other at the common point. No amount of control is going to fix that bit of physics.

My setup has 3 drains from the box so I use a BeanAnimal setup. I have two returns, each run off it’s own pump. If one pump fails, the BeanAnimal will make noise, alerting me to an issue. Simple, easy.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 pumps will need 2 separate pipes. You can go over the top with 1 return if you don't have enough holes and don't want to drill.

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it doesn’t work like that.

The two pumps will be fighting each other at the common point. No amount of control is going to fix that bit of physics.

My setup has 3 drains from the box so I use a BeanAnimal setup. I have two returns, each run off it’s own pump. If one pump fails, the BeanAnimal will make noise, alerting me to an issue. Simple, easy.
This is what I thought. I think that glass is tempered so I can’t drill it. Any tips on making a low profile secondary return?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I would look at a y-adapter rather than t-adapter - as that will impede the flow less. Second, you would probably need to look at something like a check valve on each pump outlet between the pump and y-adapter to prevent water backflowing through the other pump.

Depending on the pump type, yes - there are ways to program your Apex to compensate for redundant pumps and one failing. You usually need to be able to control/monitor this through Apex, which limits this to COR pumps or ones that can be controlled with IOTA.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems helpful, but lets pretend I’m dumber than your average bear. What’s COR and IOTA?
COR is the type of pump made by Neptune, ie: COR15 and COR20. IOTA is an acronym for "Internet of Things: Aquarium", a protocol that Neptune has implemented for (some) third party devices which can be controlled directly through the Apex.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back