Plumbing a six stage RO/DI system for drinking and reef water

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my understanding of how to plumb a RODI system that is supplying both drinking RO and reef DI output is as follows:

1) sediment filter
2) carbon
3) carbon
4) RO membrane

then, a split into two outputs, both with check valves,, one side to the carbon polishing then tank/faucet
and the other side to the DI unit and a valve to shut it off when not making DI water.

So, it’s essentially a split five stage filter, with a different fifth stage depending upon if your drinking it, or using for the reef. the check valves are to prevent back flow from one fifth stage to the other.

Is this correct? I’ve seen it drawn different ways, and I thought the drawing that reflected a different fifth stage, not series, made the most sense. Some feedback from someone who’s got one plumbed up would be great, thanks.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct. You can split the flow after the RO membrane with a tee and plumb to both locations. I had a setup like this for years.

Make sure you plumb it to the refrigerator so that you can have nice, clear ice as well ;)

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct. You can split the flow after the RO membrane with a tee and plumb to both locations. I had a setup like this for years.

Make sure you plumb it to the refrigerator so that you can have nice, clear ice as well ;)
Thank you!

you know, the refrigerator is between the sink and the fish tank, but I haven’t sold my wife on having the DI water plumbed to the tank yet.... and, our fridge has no ice maker. So when we get a new fridge, we can plumb both the fridge and tank to RO and DI water, respectively.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

you know, the refrigerator is between the sink and the fish tank, but I haven’t sold my wife on having the DI water plumbed to the tank yet.... and, our fridge has no ice maker. So when we get a new fridge, we can plumb both the fridge and tank to RO and DI water, respectively.
That's a neat solution!

I will warn you, though. Once you start drinking RO water, you will be able to taste the dissolved salts in tapwater wherever you go! And, you won't want any other kind of water! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back