Plumbing a Ten Gallon and a Fish Bowl together.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to plumb a ten gallon fish tank and a big fish bowl together and use the fish bowl as a sump. Does anyone know if this is possible without drilling a hole in the ten gallon? This probably sounds crazy but I actually wanna try it XD I was thinking of somehow getting a lid that'll seal onto the fish bowl and a powerhead to suck water in, then excess water will just be pushed out and back into the tank. But I'm not sure how to make a sealing lid XD

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a hang on the back overflow box, but in the case of a 10 gallon tank a drill bit, bulkhead and overflow parts will probably actually be cheaper then a hob box and look nicer plus be safer. Worst case you shatter the 10, you can always find another 10 gallon for around $10.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I could see using the fish bowl as the main tank and the 10 gallon as the sump. But the fishbowl as a sump is too small. You could stick some cool stuff in a decent sized bowl though.....hmmm.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I could see using the fish bowl as the main tank and the 10 gallon as the sump. But the fishbowl as a sump is too small. You could stick some cool stuff in a decent sized bowl though.....hmmm.
Yeah, I just want a place to grow hair algae. Throw some chaeto in there and keep the light on all the time so GHA won't grow in the display then maybe put miracle mud and stuff in.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a hang on the back overflow box, but in the case of a 10 gallon tank a drill bit, bulkhead and overflow parts will probably actually be cheaper then a hob box and look nicer plus be safer. Worst case you shatter the 10, you can always find another 10 gallon for around $10.
I would try drilling but it's occupied atm. And I'd really like the bowl on the dresser with the aquarium itself. I know this probably sounds like a long shot XD

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY, I forgot but I have a five gallon too... is there a way to plumb the two together, no drilling, and house them on the same table?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back