Plumbing and pump advise for mixing station

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with the 2 x 55 gallon blue drum, side by side setup for my saltwater mixing station

1. Will the Panhead 30PX be adequate?

2. Should I use 3/4 or 1'' plumbing?

regards

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3/4"is more than adequate. You don't need all that much of a pump imo... It's really a hurry up and wait thing. Most times you aren't trying to mix in minutes. I use a varios 2 which is a really small pump and it does great and I'm using it on two 65 gallon containers.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building one as well. National Tank seems to have some fair deals on tanks. Looking at a 65 gal Norwesco. The one I am looking at has a 1 1/4 in fitting. I guess I can I can get a PVC adapter to down size to 1 in.

OP
OP
T

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3/4"is more than adequate. You don't need all that much of a pump imo... It's really a hurry up and wait thing. Most times you aren't trying to mix in minutes. I use a varios 2 which is a really small pump and it does great and I'm using it on two 65 gallon containers.
I didn't know that pump can run external. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between an external and submersible pump?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visually, not always, but the manufacturer will explicitly state as much. I might revise my advice on pipe size. I looked and realized I went with 1"as that was the output size of the pump and I didn't have to mess with reducers etc.... That little pump really does move water. It only takes less than ten minutes to transfer 60 gallons from my rodi to my salt mix container. You can see the various on the floor in between the two tanks with the controller mounted on the wall.

1606599413488116805495452316049.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose anyone have a float switch and automatic shut off valve for the RO unit?
I do, it's the pressure switch kit offered by brs run through a float valve on the side of the container. Works very well.

Last edited:

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, it's the pressure switch kit offered by bra run through a float valve on the side of the container. Works very well.
Being that I am coping you mixing station to the T. Except I will use red schedule 80 lol. Red will match my Craftsman box, work bench and compressor, ect. I would like to know the manufacture or brand of your water tanks. I like the gallon marks on the sides . Th ones I'm looking at at National Tank don't have that. Thanks for the help.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that I am coping you mixing station to the T. Except I will use red schedule 80 lol. Red will match my Craftsman box, work bench and compressor, ect. I would like to know the manufacture or brand of your water tanks. I like the gallon marks on the sides . Th ones I'm looking at at National Tank don't have that. Thanks for the help.
Lol the color scheme sounds like it will look good though. The tanks are from norwesco, they should be readily found at many farm supply stores. I know those vary depending on where you live.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back