Plumbing Guidance

Sehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks,
In for my first real adventure here, had a false start a couple years ago, but over the last month or two I have gathered gear, some used and some new. I have a 75 Gallon tank used tank (clean) that was already drilled. I have researched for the last month and this is the plumbingI have come up with based on what I have, researched, how it’s already drilled, etc.. Please fact check me and provide any recommendations. Pictures are not for scale, but should give a good idea of fitting type.

Sump will be a DIY 20 gallon long, or I might splurge and buy a kit.

2x 1” Drain Lines
  • Drain line bulkheads are on the back plate, they are 1” and at the same level as each other
  • Main Drain Line will have a downward facing elbow and a Gate Valve on it
  • Backup Drain Line will have an upward facing elbow and no valve on it
1x ½” Return Line
  • Double Pump Setup for redundancy
  • Pump will have a braided vinyl pipe to a barb fitting, from there a check valve to deal with the two-pump system. Will feed into a manifold system, pardon the scale and 3d on drawings.
  • From the Manifold returns to the system with a 90* elbow off the 4-Way straight to the top with loc-line for aiming
I put in unions all over the place, I know I’ll have to break down and move this in the next 1-2 years, but did I go overboard? While I want to do it right, I don’t want to waste money either =)

Parts List:
Drain
2x 1" 90* Elbow
3x 1" Unions
4x 1" 45* Elbow

Return
2x 1/2" Barb
2x 1/2" Check Valve
3x 1/2" 90* Elbow
3x 1/2" T's
6x 1/2" Ball Valve's
11x 1/2" Unions

new plumbing.png

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good from what I can see. The only thing I do not see is a valve on the two pumps. You would need them in case you have a failure in one and need to isolate it to allow the other to be effective.

Just my opinion here but check valves are unnecessary. So long as you have your drain weir and returns at the correct height and you fill your sump to just a couple of inches below the top when all is off you should be good without checks. Additionally, check valves need a lot of regular maintenance, or at least mine does, and I end up not doing it as it is a pain due to its location. If it is easy to get to, great. But, if you don't clean it regularly it ends up allowing water to flow back through the returns making them something that you really should not rely on, hence unnecessary. Again, from my experience and IMHO.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One valve on my main return...
valve1.jpg

One on my back-up return...
valve2.jpg

OP
OP
Sehr

Sehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good from what I can see. The only thing I do not see is a valve on the two pumps. You would need them in case you have a failure in one and need to isolate it to allow the other to be effective.

Just my opinion here but check valves are unnecessary. So long as you have your drain weir and returns at the correct height and you fill your sump to just a couple of inches below the top when all is off you should be good without checks. Additionally, check valves need a lot of regular maintenance, or at least mine does, and I end up not doing it as it is a pain due to its location. If it is easy to get to, great. But, if you don't clean it regularly it ends up allowing water to flow back through the returns making them something that you really should not rely on, hence unnecessary. Again, from my experience and IMHO.

Thanks for the reply!! My concern wasn’t the back flow from a power failure or double pump failure, I’ll certainly plan & test that scenario. But rather if a single pump fails having the water loop back into the sump and potentially further damage said pump.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back