Plumbing help - loud overflow, water level, air in main drain

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my plumbing yesterday and it’s pretty loud. The main issues I’m having:

1) I’ve tuned the drain/gate valve and return pump speed so I get constant flow, but there’s a lot of air going through my drain and causing lots of bubbling/gurgling noises (photo attached)

2) my overflow box (Eshopps eclipse Small) is making really loud waterfall noises

3) Water level in my tank is lower than I would like, there’s about 2” empty space from the top. I think it’s draining through the overflow slots too fast and I can’t get it any higher

Any advice? 75EDE6EC-69B9-48D1-B920-A214BA5DE467.jpeg E2ADCD82-5A6E-4DAF-A245-E9B6BC554DE6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a photo of the external box, the problem will be in the water level there.
Cut a longer (black) piece of PVC. The red one that comes with it is too short. My overflow is silent now. Sweet! Drain in the sump still super loud with all the air going through though.

EA2BDB22-A88D-4385-A1DA-7997B0D492F5.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
herbie setup, just let it purge of air and it will quiet down. On your drain pipe into the sump, do you have it slightly submerged. Like only and inch or two below the water line?

OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I figured out another source of noise, it was the trickle from the filter sock compartment. (I’m using the Eshopps nano Refugium). Rotated that and one of the “waterfall” noises stopped.
Two down, overflow is quiet and filter sick is quiet.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's got to be some information missing. No air can get into the main drain line, the bulkhead is wide open and fully submerged. There may be air still in the lines, probably due to the outlet of the primary being too far below the water line in the sump. Shorten the outlet PCV to be about 1" below the sump waterline.

OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
herbie setup, just let it purge of air and it will quiet down. On your drain pipe into the sump, do you have it slightly submerged. Like only and inch or two below the water line?
It’s submerged into the drain section quite a lot, it’s the way this Refugium is set up. There’s a photo in one of my earlier replies.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the height of the display, just turn the gate valve on the main siphon line to increase the water height. The "dry" emergency should have just a little trickle down it.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s submerged into the drain section quite a lot, it’s the way this Refugium is set up. There’s a photo in one of my earlier replies.
No photo of the pipe submerged into the sump. You show the side of the external box, the side of the internal box, and a pic of the water height in the display.

OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the height of the display, just turn the gate valve on the main siphon line to increase the water height. The "dry" emergency should have just a little trickle down it.
Ah I know how air is getting in. My plumbing goes to a fitting in the sump then the dumb has it’s own tube that goes below the water line. That has to be where the air is being forced down.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what @homer1475 and I are looking at. This pipe is too long.

too long.PNG
Sorry thought that was the internal box. Didn't realize that was the sump.

That is certainly too far submerged. It only needs to go under water an inch or 2. Having it submerged so far, it cannot purge the air fast enough causing it to glug and chug.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The horizontal run, combined with the amount the pipe is submerged. The horizontal is holding the air, and because the pipe is so far submerged, there isn't enough force to force the bubbles out of the horizontal.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On most sump setups that is a removable piece that you can shorten. I ended up just replacing the ones in my sump with new pipes that I cut to only be a couple inches below water line. If you look closely at my drain here you can see how the pipe is not too far under the water level

IMG_20200326_144914.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back