Plumbing Issues here in Panama

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Panama central America, and the Customs officials have flagged the use of "Oatly" clear primer, and "Fusion two in one" however I can get the purple primer. I am using all red piping from BRS. And I refuse to use the purple primer. Having said that, is there any other product available, or should I just 'wing it' and just use the Oatly PVC cement

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must use purple primer, use some masking tape just below the joint, and use sparingly. Any runoff from the joint will just be on the tape, which you can remove after assembled.

Having said that, our systems are very low pressure, and not using primer isn't a big deal. The pipes with just cement will solvent weld just fine for our purposes. Heck, half the pipes in my overflow aren't glued together(for ease of disassembly) and have never come apart or leak.

The return side that has some pressure, I glued without primer.

Matt L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using cement without priming first will lead to a weaker joint that may fail.

if you’re careful, you can use the purple primer inside the socket, and for a length of pipe that is just short of the insert length.

Bevel the edge of the pipe you’re trying to insert into the socket fitting so that it inserts its full length.

you may also use painters tape to mask.

Matt:cool:

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Panama central America, and the Customs officials have flagged the use of "Oatly" clear primer, and "Fusion two in one" however I can get the purple primer. I am using all red piping from BRS. And I refuse to use the purple primer. Having said that, is there any other product available, or should I just 'wing it' and just use the Oatly PVC cement
ahhh Panama, gorgeous place sure do miss it! What do plumbers/construction codes call for there currently? While not recommended you certainly can get away without using the primer but risk is higher for leaks. I would argue since it's not a pressure application once leak tested it's not any more or less likely to fail over time. If you can get either MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or Acetone those may work. Cleaner is a substitute for primer and it often contains those.

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh Panama, gorgeous place sure do miss it! What do plumbers/construction codes call for there currently? While not recommended you certainly can get away without using the primer but risk is higher for leaks. I would argue since it's not a pressure application once leak tested it's not any more or less likely to fail over time. If you can get either MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or Acetone those may work as a substitute to that primer which may contain either or even both.
What construction codes....LOL. The codes here are controlled by the contractor with the most money!!!! Acetone is also banned because its used to make cocaine. I can buy all the nail polish remover i want, don't know if that will suffice

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just apply cement, turn pipes in the joint a half turn and be on your way.

Our systems are very low pressure. Primer only cleans, and softens the PVC for a better solvent weld for when high pressure is applied.

FWIW....

Nail polish remover isn't acetone anymore(unless it says so on the bottle). You have to look hard for nail polish remover that still has acetone in it.

Purple primer is used so the inspector can see that primer was used in residential or commercial applications where the pressure is unknown.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What construction codes....LOL. The codes here are controlled by the contractor with the most money!!!! Acetone is also banned because its used to make cocaine. I can buy all the nail polish remover i want, don't know if that will suffice
Some nail polish removers contain acetone. But if you can simply get Oatley cleaner (or brand equivalent) instead of primer use that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back