Plumbing my 40G breeder to my DIY 20G Long sump - Help Please

GuildedGravity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have never plumbed a tank before and was looking for some friendly input. I have done some research but the more input the better. This is my situation:

I have a 40G breeder and a 20G sump that I built. I have a Fluval SP4 pump which I realize now is way overkill. I figure I can use it if I upgrade in the future though and for now I will put a gate valve to regulate the flow. I was thinking of drilling 2 holes in the tank. One 1.5" bulkhead hole for a Eclipse M Overflow Box (800 GPH) to set up a Herbie overflow (2X 1" bulkheads in the external weir). Then a 1" bulkhead hole on the opposite corner for a return (also considering an over the top return without drilling a hole). I want to shoot for around 600 GPH. For reference at my head height of about 3.5' the SP4 says it does ~1213 GPS with nothing factored in for bends, valves, or couplings.

I attached an image of what I am thinking. Sorry for the crude drawing and poor handwriting.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

PXL_20210503_154801870.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason why this wont work

OP
OP
GuildedGravity

GuildedGravity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lapin. Does anybody have a preference on drilling the return line through my tank or going over the top?

Also even if this will work I would appreciate tips to make it better from people who have done this before!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will work. My advice would be on your return to tank split it off and run an output right back to sump. Put gate valves on both routes. This is better than limiting flow via gate valve and it sets you up if you ever want to run something else off the return pump it(reactor, etc). If it were me i would also do similar on the primary return to sump in case you ever want to add in something like algae scrubber.

You can always do those things later i just find for a few extra dollars in plumbing up front it is worth it compared to the hassle involved in working on plumbing once it all together and running.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sketch looks good to me.

I also went with an over the top return line. I just wrapped the return line around the center brace and drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes in it making a spray bar.

IMG_20180401_180118.jpg

I didn't like the look of the white, so I replaced it with black pvc and only used 1 lock line. In 3 years this tanks been up, no one ever said a single word about the plumbing in the tank.

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg

I also think mdb_talon has a good idea to build a manifold off the return pump. In fact, I did that too.

IMG_20200116_092711.jpg

OP
OP
GuildedGravity

GuildedGravity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys! My tank is actually freshwater so I think I might skip the manifold for that reason. Not much more to add to my sump, but I appreciate the advice.

Back