Plumbing new sump, are horizontal runs ok?

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello people! So I'm moving my 40b to the living room this weekend (yay!) and I'm switching sumps to the Trigger Sapphire 34. I'm hoping to correct some of the mistakes I made initially. My question is, will having a small horizontal run on the plumbing to the sump cause any issues, such as noise? I have the Eshopps herbie overflow. (2 drains, 1") Leaving the overflow, i will have (approx) 20" vertical, 90°elbow, 20" horizontal, 90°elbow (×2), 10" vertical drop into sump. I was considering braided vinyl but I really don't want to to that route. If I had to guess, I'm running about 5x's on my turnover, so about 300 gph from my return. Also, I will have a gate valve on my main drain and a ball on my secondary...and a ball valve on my return. Thanks in advance!!

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't, since a Herbie is a full syphon ... but only if you're doing Herbie all the way. If it's noisier at the beginning, there may be some air trapped in there, but it should go away.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have about 20 feet of horizontal pipe on my drain lines and it starts up perfect every time. So I think you should be safe ;Smuggrin

As mentioned you might have a little bit of air that takes a little time to purge but it will eventually. Biggest thing is to have a slight drop on your horizontal run in order to let the air escape.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know exactly what herbie all the way means. I have 2x 1" drains, my tank is drilled. Am I correct in assuming the slight drop on the horizontal run means lowering the output end? How do I accomplish that with 20" of rigid pipe? Not brown-nosing but you guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick responses.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know exactly what herbie all the way means. I have 2x 1" drains, my tank is drilled. Am I correct in assuming the slight drop on the horizontal run means lowering the output end? How do I accomplish that with 20" of rigid pipe? Not brown-nosing but you guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick responses.

Sorry @Klyle I missed the update to your thread!!

So when they say herbie all the way, they mean run two separate drain lines from your overflow all the way to the sump. Not joining them together into one pipe anywhere, which shouldn't be an issue for you. Just make sure your gate valve for your main siphon is as close to your sump as it can be and you will be laughing.

With 20" of pipe I would just slightly drop the one end (then end on the "Output" end of things as you said).It won't even be noticeable but even a 16th of an inch would prevent air from getting trapped.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back