OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about baffles causing more water to be in sump and overflowing?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how can I remove that acrylic blocker and make it lower?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about baffles causing more water to be in sump and overflowing?
It is possible... if it does overflow, then you need a different skimmer that will work in lower water level.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the baffles did touch the bottom then it could hold more water but it all depends on how much drains back into the sump when the pump is off if it will overflow. Which they would have to be modified anyway since it looks like they go all the way to the top Of the sump
Also, how can I remove that acrylic blocker and make it lower?
Before getting into all this, need to figure out what’s up with the float. Which could be an easy fix for all this. Or replace it with an adjustable one.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D515E6D1-B930-4C10-AA5A-8133DCBB5D12.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are pictures of before return and after return pump was closed.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have a bit of room for more water in the sump. You'll need to move the float up to the new level. It looks like an acrylic sump so that makes it pretty easy to drill a new hole higher up and easy to patch the old hole.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the ATO is permanently placed there. The Easiest thing to do is buy or make an adjustable hanger for a float and block off that hole with acrylic. You can add a few more inches of water to it if you can just move the float up. I’d stay 2 inches below the lowest rim with the pump off. Or like spieg said drilling a new hole will be the easiest and cheapest. Mark the new water level with the pump on after you already added water.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the ATO is permanently placed there. The Easiest thing to do is buy or make an adjustable hanger for a float and block off that hole with acrylic. You can add a few more inches of water to it if you can just move the float up. I’d stay 2 inches below the lowest rim with the pump off. Or like spieg said drilling a new hole will be the easiest and cheapest. Mark the new water level with the pump on after you already added water.
Could you please post a picture of what that means? I’m going to do it myself and want to make sure I understand.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, how can I patch the hole with acrylic? Is it like a tube or do I needs an acrylic slab with silicone?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unscrew the ATO Float and measure the hole in the sump. Drill another hole that size at the water depth you want to maintain. Remount the the ATO Float in that new hole. Patch the old hole with a plug or a piece of acrylic. There is glue made for acrylic that you can get at the hardware store along with a piece of acrylic.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you took some good pics that I doctored. Like Spieg said. You want to drill the new hole where you want the new level to be. This should help.
0C8D546C-8B8E-46E3-991E-7B3A0D8EB69B.jpeg

8CDB0B1F-E118-4921-98A6-F998CB3DFE09.jpeg

Now if the new level is too high you can take water out get the right height. (like if it’s too deep for your skimmer or whatever reason you wanted to raise it in the first place.

Back