Plumbing question...

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what the drawbacks may be to using flex pvc as opposed to rigid. In my mind it would seem that the flex pipe may be prone to leaks since it can flex... Any thoughts on this?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually spa flex that has the ridges and flex pvc so be careful. The flex pvc is actually pretty rigid and you need a heat gun to get some decent bends with it. It is nice to use because you eliminate the 90 degree elbows by having less of an angle on them and more of a sweep. flex pvc also uses the same size fittings and glue/solvent as regular pvc. Leaks should never be an issue because we are not dealing with high pressure plumbing unless you did a really crappy job gluing it together.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually spa flex that has the ridges and flex pvc so be careful. The flex pvc is actually pretty rigid and you need a heat gun to get some decent bends with it. It is nice to use because you eliminate the 90 degree elbows by having less of an angle on them and more of a sweep. flex pvc also uses the same size fittings and glue/solvent as regular pvc. Leaks should never be an issue because we are not dealing with high pressure plumbing unless you did a really crappy job gluing it together.

Thanks for the good info! Too bad my Gophers just lost to your Nittany lions :(

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know a lot of people in my local area use the flex pvc pipe and i havent heard of any horror stories from them using it. well no yet at least

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mens basketball team is like Sybil, you never know who is going to show up though. The put some good wins back to back and then get spanked by 20....They frustrate the heck out of me.

No kidding, we lose one player(Al Nolen) and the whole team falls apart. Thought we had a real chance this year but now its not looking too good. Ok, back on topic;)

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50ft roll of flex pvc for my tank upgrade. But depending on where I end up putting my sump at under my stand, my (2) 2" drains will either go straight down into the sump so I wouldn't need it or it would have to go down then across the bottom of a 6ft tank and then down into the sump. I jumped the gun when I bought it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back