Plumbing questions - difference in spacing of bulkheads between tank and sump

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to do my plumbing for my new tank and not sure how to do the drains. I have 3 drains in the tank (bean animal), through a center internal overflow. At initial look, it seemed I could just line up the two drains with the sump and wouldn't need elbows. However, on closer inspection, the spacing is off between the bulkheads in the tank and the bulkheads in the sump. I can line one up perfectly but the other is off by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. How can I plumb it in that instance while minimizing elbows? My sump is a Fiji Cube 20 and has a plate for the bulkheads. I don't think the plate is big enough to make a new one with the right spacing.

1633615177642.png
1633615187149.png

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you don't want to use any fittings?
I have lots of fittings but was excited to not have any elbows. I'm planning the primary drain to be a straight shot, with (hopefully) two unions and a gate valve in between (it'll be very close as I don't have a lot of room). For the secondary drain, I have to do something else due to the angle. The original plan was a straight shot with two unions. I ordered a ton of stuff and have 90 and 45 degree elbows available (3 45s and 5 90s) as I originally thought I'd need them. I suppose I could move the sump to the other side and make both drains have two 90's, but I figured less was more.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use flex pvc or heat and form the ridge to fit.
I just saw some videos on bending the PVC with a hair dryer. That may be the best way for me to go. I'd basically need to do an S bend to move it over that 3/4", correct?

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't planned on running tubing other than a short section for my return pump, but I suppose that's an option too, depending on how hard it would be to bend the schedule 40 blue PVC that I'm using.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to chime in as I know nothing but:
Why don't more people use flex hose (at least somewhere in each line)?

With completely rigid setup like you're doing, I'd be worried about stress on the glass/acrylic at the bulkhead points during any movement, like during earthquake or something.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to chime in as I know nothing but:
Why don't more people use flex hose (at least somewhere in each line)?

With completely rigid setup like you're doing, I'd be worried about stress on the glass/acrylic at the bulkhead points during any movement, like during earthquake or something.
In my olden days, I did use flex tubing, and had a couple of leaks. My husband would much prefer I use PVC this time LOL. It would be the simple solution in this particular instance though.

I can't speak to the stress points, but I am in Michigan so not worried about any earthquakes or anything. My tank is acrylic so I think less of a potential issue than glass as well.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have lots of fittings but was excited to not have any elbows. I'm planning the primary drain to be a straight shot, with (hopefully) two unions and a gate valve in between (it'll be very close as I don't have a lot of room). For the secondary drain, I have to do something else due to the angle. The original plan was a straight shot with two unions. I ordered a ton of stuff and have 90 and 45 degree elbows available (3 45s and 5 90s) as I originally thought I'd need them. I suppose I could move the sump to the other side and make both drains have two 90's, but I figured less was more.
I try and use 45's instead of 90's.
But I would put the sump where it suits the system best ( future equipment? ), then run the pvc to the bulkheads.
If you are close, then maybe the bending the pvc trick might be the way to go.
I've never tried it, but have seen pictures of it done, and they look pretty cool.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and use 45's instead of 90's.
But I would put the sump where it suits the system best ( future equipment? ), then run the pvc to the bulkheads.
If you are close, then maybe the bending the pvc trick might be the way to go.
I've never tried it, but have seen pictures of it done, and they look pretty cool.
Yes, it's really just off by 3/4" at most. Maybe less. I may try to do that and as a last resort can do tubing instead of PVC.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is silly. Is there any reason I need the bulkheads into my sump? If I remove the bulkhead plate, I can just extend the pipes straight down. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

DFD8C243-74F6-4351-83B2-8503C602514E.jpeg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well this is silly. Is there any reason I need the bulkheads into my sump? If I remove the bulkhead plate, I can just extend the pipes straight down. Any reason this would be a bad idea?
I've really never seen the need to have bulkheads going into a sump.
Looks like you figured out a solution

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really never seen the need to have bulkheads going into a sump.
Looks like you figured out a solution
Excellent, thanks! As I was sitting here debating if I could get a different plate made, I thought about whether I needed it at all LOL. My emergency drain isn't designed to feed into a bulkhead anyway.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't skimp on unions.
I had planned for two on the primary and secondary drains (right after and before each of the two bulkheads), but without a bulkhead on the sump, no need. So just one per drain now (I could still put a second on the primary drain because of the gate valve, but not sure that would be needed either.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I have going so far. I need 3/4” elbows for the return that I should get tomorrow. I mocked it up with a bigger pipe and I think it’ll work (using 45s). The emergency drain isn’t using the intended slot but this should work fine and doesn’t get in the way of my skimmer. I’m debating which way I want the gate valve knob to face. There will be about 12-14” open behind the tank due to a wall bump out. I find it pretty handy for storage lol.

current setup (we will repaint the wall while we swap the tanks)
310158AC-C779-447F-8C23-A49EE775B6A8.jpeg

Plumbing:
3BBB2962-B375-4A2E-AB58-E265A93CE371.jpeg

18AA8ADA-BC8C-46EB-9D74-3FE2931701DA.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One odd thing, the sump came with a bulkhead for the return but the 3/4" inch pipe won't seat into it far enough. It looks like the stop in the fitting is only 1/16". For now, I just took it out, but not sure I like just setting it in there on the return. I plan on using flex tubing to connect from there to the pump. Thoughts?

0BF9DE70-B065-4BEE-B72D-A3E26D44B322.jpeg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One odd thing, the sump came with a bulkhead for the return but the 3/4" inch pipe won't seat into it far enough. It looks like the stop in the fitting is only 1/16". For now, I just took it out, but not sure I like just setting it in there on the return. I plan on using flex tubing to connect from there to the pump. Thoughts?

0BF9DE70-B065-4BEE-B72D-A3E26D44B322.jpeg
3/4 PVC should have a seat depth of about 1"

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 PVC should have a seat depth of about 1"
I've read that it should be the same as the pipe size, so 3/4" to 3/4" and 1" to 1". But my 1" pipe only seats about 1/2 or maybe a little more. I mean, maybe I'm just not pushing hard enough on those, as I don't want them too tight I can't get them out. But this bulkhead, physically impossible for it to go in at all as you can see that strange lip.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back