Plumbing Reefmat 1200 into my CADE 1500

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Look for some feedback on my plan to plumb my Red Sea Reefmat 1200 into my CADE 1500 S2 sump. The Reefmat has a female 40mm DIN PVC receptacle. The overflow on the CADE is 40mm DIN PVC. I just need to connect the primary overflow to the Reefmat, and away we go. I'd like a short piece of flexible tube in there to make it easier to get things lined up, move the Reefmat to change carbon and that sort of thing. Is that a decent idea? I have no idea what I'm doing here....

Here's what I'm thinking:
  • Blue: 40mm slip to barded adaptors (no idea where to find such a thing, and I'd love to hear some options)
  • Red: some sort of flex tubing
  • Green: 40mm PVC
  • Yellow: 40mm elbow
What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks!
Brett

IMG_1049.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will help you, but these are the parts I used to retrofit my Red Sea for use with the ReefMat.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I ended up doing.

Not sure if I need to add hose clamps or not. I bought some stainless ones from Ace Hardware, but I read that those can leech stuff into the water. I'll probably order some plastic ones if it leaks.

I used:
  • 40mm - 40mm barbed fitting. Note: These are street fitting that slide into a fitting, not onto a pipe.
  • 40mm coupling to attach the barbed fitting to the pipe
  • 40mm elbow to connect to the reef mat and bottom barb
  • Some 2" OD 1-1/2" ID tubing I got at the hardware store

I don't have any water in it yet, but it _looks_ good so far at least!

Mojave-6130.jpg

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for you since I'm thinking of getting one but doesn't it come with flex tubing? Curious why you didn't just use that?
It did come with a hose. I didn't want to have a hose taking up room an generally getting in the way. I thought this was neater and cleaner.

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a custom sump just to hold the reefmat 1200. Got it all up and running earlier this month. I used the included flex hose connected to my standard hard pipe and you can see in the pic a very small water leak between the included adapter and flex hose. (I mean very very small) I am sure a plastic clamp will stop it but it just goes in the sump. That flex hose can be cut and I think it will make things easier to move around with the included flex hose being cut. Not that you are going to move it much but for cleaning the sump it is nice to be able to just slide the reefmat 6 inches to the side without shutting of the pumps and disconnecting the reefmat.

Now as my opinion on using the reefmat over filter socks is life changing. From the looks of the roller use so far I should be able to get just under 2 months on one roll. I have seen people complaining about the the rolls not lasting very long nat all but if you look at the used fleece and if it clogged and dirty then its doing its job correctly. You will love it over the filter socks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 7.59.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 7.59.26 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 7.59.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 7.59.42 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 7.59.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 7.59.09 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I wanted a tighter bend radius than the hose would have allowed. That was my primary motivation. That allowed me to shove it all the way over to the left next to the drain.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back