Plumbing sump for near silence?

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So obviously this is way too loud. Should I just have that drain go under the water level in the sump? The reason I put it that high was the filter sock. How can I change the sock if the pipe is in the way? Do I take the entire sock holder off? This is my first sump using a sock.

20210909_214401.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the drain in the sock needs to be underwater. Simply friction fit a length of pipe that can easily be removed when you need to take out the sock.

It's not the best picture because of the tight space, but here is my setup with the pipe pulled out to ease getting the sock out.

1631239657349.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the drain in the sock needs to be underwater. Simply friction fit a length of pipe that can easily be removed when you need to take out the sock.

It's not the best picture because of the tight space, but here is my setup with the pipe pulled out to ease getting the sock out.

1631239657349.png
Yeah I knew it had to be below water for complete silence but my thought process was, "how loud can it be if it's not?" Turns out really freaking loud lol. I never used filter socks before but everyone keeps telling me they're amazing as long as I change them out or clean them as needed

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I knew it had to be below water for complete silence but my thought process was, "how loud can it be if it's not?" Turns out really freaking loud lol.
That's why you typically have the main drain submersed and the emergency drain (the one with the stand pipe in the overflow) above the water. Specifically so that if/when the main drain backs up, you hear the water splashing into the sump and it lets you know something's going on.
Personally, I have my 'emergency' drain running down to the sump with a 45 degree fitting on the end and just the very bottom of the 45 underwater. That allows me to have my overflow filled up until it's just barely trickling over the top of the standpipe and not make nearly as much noise, but if it starts rushing down there, I'll hear it. Also helps a bit with water splashing all over the place.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back