Plumbing up a coast to coast 8 foot reef tank, 150 gallons. first try at a bean animal drain

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice before drilling this used tank i scored. its 96 x26 x14.5 high and has a 4 inch chamber in the back with a coast to coast overflow .. it was set up as a single 2 inch drain but i think it would be more quiet with the bean animal .. The overflow already has a 3 inch hole so that fits a 2 inch bulkhead so have that to start and need to drill 2 more holes.

i was thinking of just using the existing 2 inch as the backup overflow drain and doing the others in either 1 or 1.5 inch pvc???? 2inch seem a bit overkill .

any thoughts for those who with these types of drains, its my first try with this type of drain. 1 or 1.5?
I want it to be super quiet.. my other tanks are old and loud but in the basement.. this one is in my kitchen.

for return pump have a jeboa 20000 so can set it at whatever speed is best to tune it in , sump is about the same size maybe slightly\
taller.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the "true" Bean Animal design and documentation he actually has 1" inside the overflow box which is reduced at the bulkhead of the overflow. So 1" inside primary, secondary, and fail safe, then bulkhead to sump is 1 1/2. I actually run this config and it works fine. Overflow box was a bit tight trying to use 1 1/2 all the way.

When it is properly set it moves a lot of water. Especially if you are using a coast to coast with a smooth weir.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it is properly set it moves a lot of water. Especially if you are using a coast to coast with a smooth weir.
The amount of water that can flow down a full siphon drain is limited by the size of the pipe; not design implementation.

The use of a coast to coast weir can only effect surface skimming and has zero effect on flow rates through the drains.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of water that can flow down a full siphon drain is limited by the size of the pipe; not design implementation.

The use of a coast to coast weir can only effect surface skimming and has zero effect on flow rates through the drains.

Of course. I didn't say otherwise. If you want clarity on what a weir does I'll add that next time.

OP
OP
Y

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 2 1 inch drains plus the 2 inch backup overflow drain. it should be overkill, my predator tanks have 2 inch and they can handle the same pump wide open no problems and this one will only be like 50% ... still plumbing it all up and figuring out what lights to use. I think i might go with t5 hybrid fixture as i already have 2 g5xr30 radions

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back