Plumbing

Redemption626

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So planning my plumbing out, going with colored schedule 40 and schedule 80 fittings. Have a few questions 1) should I use unions before and after gate/ball valves, so they can be removed. 2) should the manifold be plumbed back into the drain line to the sump. 3) would you plumb a uv sterilizer into return line and then the exit line from sterilizer back to manifold? Thanks in advance.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Use unions where ever you can; it will make your life easier down the line when any maintenance has to be done- or in case any parts have to be replaced

2. I would plumb it like you suggest; from the return pump and back into the drain to the sump

3. If you plan to plumb in a UV, plump it in in-line from the return pump to the tank so that all water returned to the tank pass through and receive treatment

OP
OP
Redemption626

Redemption626

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you guys recommend a gate valve for the return line or a ball valve??

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you guys recommend a gate valve for the return line or a ball valve??

Depends on the pump and/or drain configuration. If the drains can handle the pump(s) then you don’t need a valve. Some folks use a DC controlled return pump instead of a valve.

Having run them, I can honestly say I’m not a fan of manifolds. I feel I have much more control using individual pumps but realize that’s not for everyone. It means I can set up my return and drains once, then connect and disconnect the other items without messing up the flow. Also, I can leave the system running when doing maintenance. Just an alternate opinion.

OP
OP
Redemption626

Redemption626

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the pump and/or drain configuration. If the drains can handle the pump(s) then you don’t need a valve. Some folks use a DC controlled return pump instead of a valve.

Having run them, I can honestly say I’m not a fan of manifolds. I feel I have much more control using individual pumps but realize that’s not for everyone. It means I can set up my return and drains once, then connect and disconnect the other items without messing up the flow. Also, I can leave the system running when doing maintenance. Just an alternate opinion.
I plan on running the Neptune core 20 on my 90 gal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back