Plus-NP then NP-Bacto-Balance to Correct Unintentional ULNS?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank Background:
15 gallon Nano, 2.5 months old
Dosing All For Reef 4.8 mL/day + Kalkwasser in ATO
Have some brown hair algae on rocks
Running skimmer w/CO2 scrubber for ^ pH
Filter Floss (not currently changing floss until flow issues, to retain nutrients)
Have increased feedings already quite a bit

Parameters:
See attached photo.

Goal:
I'm hoping to raise/stabilize my Nitrate and Phosphate. I was looking at Bacto Balance and Plus NP since I already use TM products. I watched a video by Lou Ekus on YouTube and he says if algae develops, stop dosing, wait for algae to die and try again. Would it be not advisable to try these products while I have algae in the tank? My concern with N/P dosing was supplying algae with more nutrients, but Randy Holmes-Farley said in another thread I shouldn't be concerned dosing N/P in appropriate amounts. I am considering using Plus NP until I have some detectable nutrients, then switching to the Bacto Balance since it is designed to prevent N/P from bottoming out.

Questions:
1. Will these products accomplish what I am looking to do?
2. Are these safe to begin since I have algae growing in the tank right now?
3. If these aren't the best products for my situation, what would you recommend?

Tropic Marin Carbon Dosing.jpeg Tank Nitrates Phosphates.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nutrients are undetectable, I personally would not dose organic carbon. It will just serve to drive them lower.

The plus NP from Tropic Marin seems a fine way to boost nutrients, or you can DIY.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nutrients are undetectable, I personally would not dose organic carbon. It will just serve to drive them lower.

The plus NP from Tropic Marin seems a fine way to boost nutrients, or you can DIY.
Sorry now I started a thread also...
But how to DIY?

I need the elements as I am in switzerland (german speaking) to find the correct products.
Plus how much to dose?

20 gallon tank
0.00 po4
2.5 no3

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry now I started a thread also...
But how to DIY?

I need the elements as I am in switzerland (german speaking) to find the correct products.
Plus how much to dose?

20 gallon tank
0.00 po4
2.5 no3

Food grade sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate are readily available from Amazon in the USA. Not sure about Germany.

Iant419

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Background:
15 gallon Nano, 2.5 months old
Dosing All For Reef 4.8 mL/day + Kalkwasser in ATO
Have some brown hair algae on rocks
Running skimmer w/CO2 scrubber for ^ pH
Filter Floss (not currently changing floss until flow issues, to retain nutrients)
Have increased feedings already quite a bit

Parameters:
See attached photo.

Goal:
I'm hoping to raise/stabilize my Nitrate and Phosphate. I was looking at Bacto Balance and Plus NP since I already use TM products. I watched a video by Lou Ekus on YouTube and he says if algae develops, stop dosing, wait for algae to die and try again. Would it be not advisable to try these products while I have algae in the tank? My concern with N/P dosing was supplying algae with more nutrients, but Randy Holmes-Farley said in another thread I shouldn't be concerned dosing N/P in appropriate amounts. I am considering using Plus NP until I have some detectable nutrients, then switching to the Bacto Balance since it is designed to prevent N/P from bottoming out.

Questions:
1. Will these products accomplish what I am looking to do?
2. Are these safe to begin since I have algae growing in the tank right now?
3. If these aren't the best products for my situation, what would you recommend?

Tropic Marin Carbon Dosing.jpeg Tank Nitrates Phosphates.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the absolute best way to dose nitrates and phosphates but simply overfeed some flake food man. That will definitley help your starving tank right away.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back