Plywood only stand for 180 Gallon

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a very heavy rimless tank (6' x 2' x 2') with 3/4" glass, probably weighs 400-500 lbs when empty and holds about 180 gallons.

I have been researching a lot of DIY plans, most of them using construction lumber (a combination of 2x4s and 2x6s).
My question is, has anyone built a plywood only stand for a large aquarium? Are there any plans?
Space is not as much an issue, since the sump will be in the basement, but aesthetics as well as safety are.

Help appreciated!

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@cromag27 has a few plywood only stand builds (or pictures at least) across R2R. I know a lot of the people who build plywood stands swear by it over the 2x4 route. I think it just takes a bit more skill to ensure all of your cuts are true though. Here is one for a 225 for example.

1EED09BB-7EE6-47C1-9143-92455C8CA755.jpeg

i’ve built dozens of stands. here’s one i did for a 225 and it’s all plywood.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds sketchy to me. I’m having a 180G tank built with 5/8 inch glass right now and the builder requires a metal stand under it to warranty the tank. They won’t allow wood stands for anything ober 120G.

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds sketchy to me. I’m having a 180G tank built with 5/8 inch glass right now and the builder requires a metal stand under it to warranty the tank. They won’t allow wood stands for anything ober 120G.

Which is why I asked. As far as I know, the red sea and waterbox stands are also plywood? No metal, or construction lumber.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is why I asked. As far as I know, the red sea and waterbox stands are also plywood? No metal, or construction lumber.
You may be right. For the weight that will be on a stand of a tank that size, whatever you use should be engineered. The stand plans that have been circulating for years using 2x4s were supposedly engineered by someone with the credentials to do so. I would look for something similar if trying to DIY plywood. That said, the main driver for my 120G to 180G upgrade is that my 10 year old plywood stand under the 120G is rotting and becoming unsafe.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood can certainly be used, if designed properly. If a stand is rotting out then there were other issues beyond the materials used to make it. The ‘factory’ stand for my 120 was made out of particle board, a step (or three) below plywood. Beyond that, your house is made of wood. I’d be willing to bet it weighs more than a fish tank. Somewhere i saw a picture of plywood sawhorses supporting a car, too.

Va construction lumber, plywood is more dimensionally stable and consistent. The joinery is the main issue for most people, but a properly built stand doesn’t stress the joints.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sleepydoc The stand is rotting from the salt spray coming from the bubble in the sump. My Durso overflow results in a lot of micro bubbles that pop and create the spray. The stand held up well for years, but it’s starting to show signs of rot so it’s time for it to go. I’m not saying wood isn’t strong, I’m just saying that a 180 gallon tank can weigh close to the same as a small car so you want to be confident in the engineering holding it up. I would be nervous DIYing that unless I knew an engineer approved the stand plans. The tank builder I’m using right now won’t even allow wood but that may have more to do with their tank design for all I know.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sleepydoc The stand is rotting from the salt spray coming from the bubble in the sump. My Durso overflow results in a lot of micro bubbles that pop and create the spray. The stand held up well for years, but it’s starting to show signs of rot so it’s time for it to go. I’m not saying wood isn’t strong, I’m just saying that a 180 gallon tank can weigh close to the same as a small car so you want to be confident in the engineering holding it up. I would be nervous DIYing that unless I knew an engineer approved the stand plans. The tank builder I’m using right now won’t even allow wood but that may have more to do with their tank design for all I know.

I must say I'm curious which builder your working with that won't allow wood? Are they selling you the steel stand as well? There are a few of these threads kicking around here about large stands and the materials they use. The truth is any material is just fine as long as it's designed properly. Metal WILL rust, wood will eventually absorb water, screws holding aluminum stands up will degrade over time. They all have there pros and cons and as long as you plan for them in advance, whatever material one chooses to use will work excellent.

Personally I'd go with plywood, I built my 125 Gallon stand with it but honestly I'd throw a 200+ gallon tank on it without a second thought.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 165g tank on a stand built out of only 3/4” ply, pocket screws, and glue. I’ll dig through email to see if I can find the plans.

All corners were rabbet joints, glued, and screwed. The front had a piece of ply like a header over the door opening with ply legs going down on the inside. Aside from that it was just a plywood box :)

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 165g tank on a stand built out of only 3/4” ply, pocket screws, and glue. I’ll dig through email to see if I can find the plans.

All corners were rabbet joints, glued, and screwed. The front had a piece of ply like a header over the door opening with ply legs going down on the inside. Aside from that it was just a plywood box :)

Would greatly appreciate any plan details or pics, if you can fine them.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I'm curious which builder your working with that won't allow wood? Are they selling you the steel stand as well? There are a few of these threads kicking around here about large stands and the materials they use. The truth is any material is just fine as long as it's designed properly. Metal WILL rust, wood will eventually absorb water, screws holding aluminum stands up will degrade over time. They all have there pros and cons and as long as you plan for them in advance, whatever material one chooses to use will work excellent.

Personally I'd go with plywood, I built my 125 Gallon stand with it but honestly I'd throw a 200+ gallon tank on it without a second thought.
I think it's coming from Concept Aquariums. I ordered through the LFS and honestly am not really sure who they're using. I'm in Canada and I don't think there are a ton of builders to choose from. The stand is coming from the LFS, but they sell mass produced brand name stands for tanks 120G and smaller as well as have a cabinet maker they contract to if you want a custom built wood stand (again 120G or smaller) or skirting for metal stand. I'm going to DIY my own skirting and am not using the cabinet maker.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's coming from Concept Aquariums. I ordered through the LFS and honestly am not really sure who they're using. I'm in Canada and I don't think there are a ton of builders to choose from. The stand is coming from the LFS, but they sell mass produced brand name stands for tanks 120G and smaller as well as have a cabinet maker they contract to if you want a custom built wood stand (again 120G or smaller) or skirting for metal stand. I'm going to DIY my own skirting and am not using the cabinet maker.

Interesting, Concept has no stand specific requirements for there warranty that I'm aware of for any size tank. Concept is out of Calgary where I live and I've spent quite a few hours in there shop talking to them when I was looking at them to build my tank and not once did they mention warranty requirements. No there are not a ton of builders in Canada, Miracles, Concept, Aquarium Illusions as well I believe and one other based out of Toronto that I forget the name of.

What LFS is this if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry @reelss hope you don't think I'm derailing your thread here...

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, Concept has no stand specific requirements for there warranty that I'm aware of for any size tank. Concept is out of Calgary where I live and I've spent quite a few hours in there shop talking to them when I was looking at them to build my tank and not once did they mention warranty requirements. No there are not a ton of builders in Canada, Miracles, Concept, Aquarium Illusions as well I believe and one other based out of Toronto that I forget the name of.

What LFS is this if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry @reelss hope you don't think I'm derailing your thread here...
It’s Aquarium Illusions, but they don’t build their tanks, they get it done in Calgary which is why I think it’s probably Concept.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium illusions uses concept and racks on a 15% fee on top.
Concept doesn’t require a metal stand, BUT they only warranty for a year. I would personally spend the extra $200 and go with miracles .... or even custom aquariums. Just because we’re in Canada, doesn’t mean we can’t order from down south. Our only limitations are livestock.

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modern Cabinet Maker here. I build kitchens and custom cabinets for a living (Floating vanities that are 6' long, etc.) I am also a member of the AMA.

Where will the tank be located? Is there a wall behind it?

The use of plywood is certainly acceptable, but some metal will need to be incorporated for a tank that size.

I use these concealed brackets for any floating vanities I construct: 1,700lb per pair. You will be able to have 2 pairs considering you have studs that are 16" on center directly behind the tank.

You will need to have access to the wall behind, will need to cut and replace drywall thereafter of course.
I would sister stud each stud behind the aquarium and run horizontal 2x6, between each stud (after you sister them) One horizonatl 2x6, with 4" of space between each one.

Then apply the concealed heavy duty brackets (24" by the way) using Lag bolts and an impact drill.

You will need to use a router to make the holes for the brackets to slide into and they should rest under the top of the stand.

At the end of the day though, personally, I would go to a welding shop and tell them you need a stand made that will support XXXX weight.. It is extremely easy to add panels using magnets to metal.

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a very heavy rimless tank (6' x 2' x 2') with 3/4" glass, probably weighs 400-500 lbs when empty and holds about 180 gallons.

I have been researching a lot of DIY plans, most of them using construction lumber (a combination of 2x4s and 2x6s).
My question is, has anyone built a plywood only stand for a large aquarium? Are there any plans?
Space is not as much an issue, since the sump will be in the basement, but aesthetics as well as safety are.

Help appreciated!

Hey reelss, did you come to any conclusions from your research? I'm in the EXACT same situation as you, looking to verify that my DIY ideas for a plywood stand are sound. 180 rimless on order...

Any update? Thanks!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reelss, did you come to any conclusions from your research? I'm in the EXACT same situation as you, looking to verify that my DIY ideas for a plywood stand are sound. 180 rimless on order...

Any update? Thanks!

I would do it without hesitation, what are your hesitations?

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it without hesitation, what are your hesitations?

My biggest one is the span. I plan on running without a center support, as I see many builds holding a 180 gallon like this with 2x6 headers.

My plan is to sister 3/4" plywood with glue to accomplish the same thing. From what I'm reading elsewhere, it should be plenty strong.

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest one is the span. I plan on running without a center support, as I see many builds holding a 180 gallon like this with 2x6 headers.

My plan is to sister 3/4" plywood with glue to accomplish the same thing. From what I'm reading elsewhere, it should be plenty strong.

1” bb/bb is plenty strong. Baltic birch at 1” is 18 plys! It’s like wooden steel!
You could glue two of those together. Either way, I would think that a face Fram for support is a good idea.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back