Plywood or PVC? What did you put on the top of your stand?

reefkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a framing tech aluminum stand that is waiting for my Reef Savvy 420 gal tank to arrive. I was going to top it with 3/4 inch plywood but have been thinking of using pvc instead. Something like the Veranda pvc board you can get at Home Depot. Anyone use this product?

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a framing tech aluminum stand that is waiting for my Reef Savvy 420 gal tank to arrive. I was going to top it with 3/4 inch plywood but have been thinking of using pvc instead. Something like the Veranda pvc board you can get at Home Depot. Anyone use this product?
I'd talk to the tank builder and use whatever they recommend

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That veranda stuff is cellular pvc. Kind of like polystyrene but much harder. My point is it will compress with allot less pressure than a piece of plywood or wood. If you wanting to use a material that will hold up to water like pvc but not compress that easily I would use starboard.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a piece of 3/4 acrylic (4 x 2 ft). It wasn't cheap. I couldn't use plywood under a tank and stand as nice as you're going to have. Plywood edge will not look good unless you trim it.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for starboard in your application. Cosmetically edging plywood hardly ever works over the long term. Eventually something separates or generates hairline openings.

OP
OP
R

reefkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a piece of 3/4 acrylic (4 x 2 ft). It wasn't cheap. I couldn't use plywood under a tank and stand as nice as you're going to have. Plywood edge will not look good unless you trim it.

+1 for starboard in your application. Cosmetically edging plywood hardly ever works over the long term. Eventually something separates or generates hairline openings.
I figured I would be trimming it because some kind of foam squish layer has to go on top as well. The manufacturer recommends styrofoam type insulation. If you research it on YouTube and elsewhere most say to stay away from that. I used plywood and neoprene for my 400 gal acrylic tank. This tank is glass, a different color horse altogether.

Silvas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on my stand parts to arrive, and have already ordered my my shelves for top and bottom. Will be under a 36x24x24 SCA starfire glass cube. I went with 3/4 x 24 x 48 Polymersan marine board HDPE black textured, and 1/2 x 24 x 48 of the same stuff for the bottom. Stand is 48x24. Total for both, including shipping, was $265 off amazon. I looked at local plastic suppliers like tap plastics and a few others, but they were $200 for just the 3/4 sheet for HDPE in white (the cheapest one was what they called cutting board HDPE and was $192) with the 1/2" piece being another $100 and change, and over $300 for just the 3/4 top in grey PVC type 1.
I will be topping that with a self leveling rubber mat from BRS that I have here already.
That will meet the warranty requirements for the SCA tank.

Back