Plywood Stand Sketchup Review

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided with some time off coming up in March I would finally get around to replacing the stand my 40B is on. I've been mulling over exactly what I can I do to make this the 'perfect stand for my exact needs and future wants', and I think I've got an near end product? I'm hoping to get some confirmation my design looks structurally sound, or if there is anything I'm clearlying missing. Material in mind was to be 3/4" hardwood plywood, I was thinking maybe even two contrasting woods, one for top/outside and another for the base and inner portions as somewhat shown. Purple bits were to be 1"x2"s and Red bits 1"x4"s, they're mostly just there for hiding egdes, frames, and cords on the shelf. Sump on the shelf is to be a 15g I already own that I'll be adding some better designed baffles into. There is to be three 10gallon tanks along the very bottom, one for an ATO, one for SW for the next WC, and the seperated one will be for a QT. With the goal that it can be set up quickly and intelligently via a simple pump or tee from the sump to the QT tank, and then just fill the sump back up with premixed saltwater 10g tank. When the QT isn't in functioning use though, that will be my means to perform weekly auto WCs by doing the same procedure as above except then I just drain the 10g when I feel like it haha

Hope that all makes sense! I realize I could beef this up more and likely do this a bit cheaper with 2x4s but they're so chunky I couldn't find a way to make them work. From what I've read in other threads though I think I feel confident that the 3/4" should be plenty sufficient for a 40B display, with the potential that maybe one day I'll upgrade it to a custom 65g, agreed? Final exterior stand dimensions are 37"x22"x41.25" (LxWxH). I'll be putting some holes in the inner 3/4" divider wall for cable/plumbing management not shown in the model as well, though nothing large enough to be I any concern I'd think? I haven't excatly figured out my plan for outer trim yet or how I wanna attach the front panel. I was thinking perhaps just two simple cleats made from scraps on either side so I can just lift it off in one piece so I have full access to everything when needed. Oh should probably also note I was thinking of using pocket screws and wood glue for joining it all together. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine imo

Like the design be pretty neat if you put the 10g tanks on a heavy duty drawer guide to make getting to them easier for filling maintenance ect....

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Applaud use of plywood. You may want to consider a way to have very minimal feet. You will spill water and it will seep between floor and stand. I put my RSR up on casters and love the access under. Not recommending you go with casters unless you want to move...but some 1" leveling feet will really pay off.

OP
OP
A

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine imo

Like the design be pretty neat if you put the 10g tanks on a heavy duty drawer guide to make getting to them easier for filling maintenance ect....

Thanks! I really wanted to use pull out drawer slides actually for the QT tank as originially I wanted to use a 20long for my sump on the shelf. I honestly just couldn't find any great mounting examples and I figure I'd only ever want to be pulling it out when the 10g tank is full for the convenience of draining it 100% during WC day anyways. I opted to settle for allowing myself the option to simply lift and slide the tanks out without stripping the stand apart though should I ever spring a leak.

Very nice! Applaud use of plywood. You may want to consider a way to have very minimal feet. You will spill water and it will seep between floor and stand. I put my RSR up on casters and love the access under. Not recommending you go with casters unless you want to move...but some 1" leveling feet will really pay off.

Thank you! I'd love to claim having any real academic knowledge on the matter but it really just boils down to a lot of free time spent scouring the internet hahaha Having a spill with the flat bottom is definitely something I should take into consideration though. I had figured by skipping having feet on it I'd have better weight distribution across the floor as I'm just renting and the floors are hardwood (eeek) do you think adding some basic feet like your suggesting would have any valid weight concern on my part?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really wanted to use pull out drawer slides actually for the QT tank as originially I wanted to use a 20long for my sump on the shelf. I honestly just couldn't find any great mounting examples and I figure I'd only ever want to be pulling it out when the 10g tank is full for the convenience of draining it 100% during WC day anyways. I opted to settle for allowing myself the option to simply lift and slide the tanks out without stripping the stand apart though should I ever spring a leak.

Thank you! I'd love to claim having any real academic knowledge on the matter but it really just boils down to a lot of free time spent scouring the internet hahaha Having a spill with the flat bottom is definitely something I should take into consideration though. I had figured by skipping having feet on it I'd have better weight distribution across the floor as I'm just renting and the floors are hardwood (eeek) do you think adding some basic feet like your suggesting would have any valid weight concern on my part?
Depends on type and number of feet. If you have 6 to 8 simple feet, I think you'd be fine. I have 4 large under my tank (see build thread) and weight distribution is good.

I'm thinking if you're renting keeping water wiped up is probably as important as weight distribution.

There are all kinds of feet. Simple nail on plastic, adjustable (right drilling), casters etc. I'm sure you can find something that meets budget, looks and your experience level in attaching.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back