Plywood under rimless tank?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a revolutionary thought ..... how about asking the tank manufacturer what they recommend. Most rimless tank manufacturers require full spanned support for the bottom with a foam layer in between. Plywood has very little support through the thin dimension so would likely only be good of there were cross members in the stand. Good quality BC plywood in 3/4” is generally perfectly flat. Hardwood ply even better. Stay away from the plywood sheathing. I would not personally put MDF or particle board anywhere near my tank.

This /\ /\ /\

I've seen a lot of questions like this lately and while asking questions here is awesome, some things are best left to talk to the manufacturer directly about. Taking the wrong advice could quickly void any warranties the tank may or may not have or worse it could put your tank at risk of failure. I've already seen some questionable advice in this thread and I think the OP should contact the Manufacturer directly and stop looking here...

I also haven't seen anyone ask if this is a full Trimless tank? Rimless and Trimless are two different things that I often see people forget to realize or ask about.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an excellent point. I have a deep blue frag tank at home that has no upper trim, but sits in a standard plastic bottom frame. Treat it like a standard tank. My main display is trimless top and bottom and requires full bottom support with foam.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a revolutionary thought ..... how about asking the tank manufacturer what they recommend. Most rimless tank manufacturers require full spanned support for the bottom with a foam layer in between. Plywood has very little support through the thin dimension so would likely only be good of there were cross members in the stand. Good quality BC plywood in 3/4” is generally perfectly flat. Hardwood ply even better. Stay away from the plywood sheathing. I would not personally put MDF or particle board anywhere near my tank.
Because they're in the business of building to a price. They will never use the best solution. No good business would. Just what fits the needs best for the cost.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if 3/4" type one pvc would be rigid enough to place over a 80/20 stand. Also if your looking for top shelf marine ply. okoume is the only ply certified by lloyds for boatbuilding.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tidal gardens has some youtube videos showing their 80/20 setups and they use 1/2" on some pretty darn big tanks. They used 3/4" on the monster ones.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plywood will delaminate when it gets wet but, MDF will disintegrate when it gets wet. MDF is a fine particles of fiber glued together, plywood is sheets of wood glued together.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood will delaminate when it gets wet but, MDF will disintegrate when it gets wet. MDF is a fine particles of fiber glued together, plywood is sheets of wood glued together.
You just described particle board, not MDF.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they're in the business of building to a price. They will never use the best solution. No good business would. Just what fits the needs best for the cost.

Not sure I follow. You talking about the tank manufacturer or generally about commercial stands? Every manufacturer builds to a price point. Overengineering (in reefing at least) is almost always the providence of the reefer LOL. Or maybe just me. Built my stand to hold a tank .... the military kind ....

IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just described particle board, not MDF.

Medium Density FIBERboard is basically sawdust/tiny wood fibers mixed with glue and then pressed together into sheets... I think he was close enough. Particle board is made of larger wood chips but the process is similar to MDF.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see OSB on here, but I wouldn't use it for a stand anyways.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back