kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI..
I have a waterbox marine X 90.3
I planned to keep the tank in my home office, this room has carpet. :(

so when i placed the stand on the carpet, the doors don't open because of the carpet.
My LFS suggested that i put a ply wood under stand.

I was planning to get this plywood

"Lauan playwwod ANSI Standard"
its 3/4 inch thick, can it handle the weight of the tank?

will this work for me?

Also, i am concerned that the stands leveling feet will be too close to the edge of the plywood

Thax

OP
OP
kamla

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need to seal that plywood, especially the edges. I would want to keep the levelling feet at least a 1/4" from the edge as well.
so this plywood should be good right?
what paint could i use to seal the wood?

thax

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably go a little more than a 1/4” even maybe like 3/4”-1” perimeter. I have plywood under mind not sealed been a year and still looks good. But I try to be careful not to spill. I used 2 sheets of 3/4” though, I know it’s overkill but don’t have to worry then.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plywood can be just G1S and you can seal it up with any waterproofer or paint you wish. Doesn’t need to be a really expensive sheet of plywood. As long as one side is nice and smooth.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the treated green plywood if you are going to do this. Be warned the plywood could, and probably will, stain your carpet. Take precautions.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use regular plywood. It doesn’t need to be treated and then you don’t have to worry about any staining. But just a high quality regular white paint will be enough. Unless you have a big failure like a seam break. At the end of the day you’re going to have to be careful not to get saltwater on your carpet. If you get the plywood wet dry it off with a cloth.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stand has leveling feet, why not just use blocks rather than a plywood sheet.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plywood is nice because it gives you a little area to put things under your tank like a sump or filters what ever and it keeps it off your carpet.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the green treated plywood you do not want those chemicals in your house or on your carpet and as long as you don't constantly have it getting wet that is completely unnecessary. After you have it painted if it does get wet just take a towel and dry it off. Use standard plywood the lauan you are looking at would be a great choice and use an exterior paint.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI..
I have a waterbox marine X 90.3
I planned to keep the tank in my home office, this room has carpet. :(

so when i placed the stand on the carpet, the doors don't open because of the carpet.
My LFS suggested that i put a ply wood under stand.

I was planning to get this plywood

"Lauan playwwod ANSI Standard"
its 3/4 inch thick, can it handle the weight of the tank?

will this work for me?

Also, i am concerned that the stands leveling feet will be too close to the edge of the plywood

Thax
I have 3/4 under my stand painted with just some normal black paint seems to be doing fine

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if I was in this situation, carpet is tolerable short term, as in a few months. Long term, I would redo the flooring in that room. For an office or space for a reef tank, a resilient hard surface flooring is a 100% must. I would redo the flooring in wood look tile or SPC flooring. Then put the tank in that room.

Trying to figure out a way to work with carpet in that room is a band-aid ready to bust.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back