• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Giancarlo_f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something new... Includes both Rhodopseudomonas and Rhodospirillum.

Will try come time to set up my new tank although I already have old old live rock for it. Can't hurt the biodiversity I suppose... and I've only seen positive results with yellow sno and live PNSB. I only tried PNSB when I saw it on algaebarn because I know a guy in indonesia who cultures prawn and mangrove crabs and he seeds his brackish ponds with PNSB for maintenance when water levels are too low to do mass water changes from the estuary that feeds into the ponds. I figure if the guy swears by the stuff for brackish applications and with PNSB being as prolific as it is it's worth applying in our reef tanks.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try come time to set up my new tank although I already have old old live rock for it. Can't hurt the biodiversity I suppose... and I've only seen positive results with yellow sno and live PNSB. I only tried PNSB when I saw it on algaebarn because I know a guy in indonesia who cultures prawn and mangrove crabs and he seeds his brackish ponds with PNSB for maintenance when water levels are too low to do mass water changes from the estuary that feeds into the ponds. I figure if the guy swears by the stuff for brackish applications and with PNSB being as prolific as it is it's worth applying in our reef tanks.

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kenneth

I've been reefing for over 20 year and in past i successfully used Special Blend bacteria by Microbe lift to combat cyano. I am trying your PNS bacteria right now and seems to me that these two bac's are very similar if not the same.
Can you please clarify if there are the same or different strain..

Thank you,

Michael

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Michael, that's hard to say since the contents of Microbe Lift products are typically proprietary. In the case of Special Blend, all I could find is "a unique consortium of bacteria."

I can say though that even if the species, or even strains, are similar, the products are potentially very different due to differences in cultivation method. For example, the Rhodopseudomonas palustris present in both ProBio and Substrate Sauce are genetically identical, yet they behave differently (at least that 1st gen right out of the bottle) due to differences in their culture medium. Specifically, ProBio is best for established systems (with their characteristic abundance of organic wastes e.g. detritus) whereas Substrate Sauce is best for new systems (with their characteristic abundance of inorganic nutrients e.g. ammonia/nitrite).

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....

Has anyone been using this product for a while now and what were the results?

NanPoriferan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought I'd post pictures of my nano sponge tank. I've since upgraded to a 32g biocube, and been slowly stocking it with new stuff and transfering frags out of the nano. I have not stopped using the Algaebarn products. The results speak for themselves:

Attachments

• 20211222_145126.jpg
    20211222_145126.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20211206_014139_230.jpg
    IMG_20211206_014139_230.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20211206_014351_950.jpg
    IMG_20211206_014351_950.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 20221002_153110.jpg
    20221002_153110.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 141

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just thought I'd post pictures of my nano sponge tank. I've since upgraded to a 32g biocube, and been slowly stocking it with new stuff and transfering frags out of the nano. I have not stopped using the Algaebarn products. The results speak for themselves:
Do you mind if we share this on social Media? Do you have an IG that we can tag?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought I'd post pictures of my nano sponge tank.
nice. Love the prominent blue sponge in the center. Do you observe visible growth from this sponge?

NanPoriferan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi- what does your dosing schedule look like?
Dosing 30ml YelloSno and 40ml ProBio 3 or 4 times a week. Also dosing SpongExcel 20 drops a day, 10 drops every 12 hours and 6 drops every other day of SpongePower. Live PhytoFeast 50 drops every two days. This is for the 32gal

NanPoriferan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. Love the prominent blue sponge in the center. Do you observe visible growth from this sponge?
@taricha if you see the first picture I posted when I started this thread of the blue sponge frag I started with in the nano 13.5 tank, then see the pics I posted of that tank recently here, you'll see the growth and spread of the sponge throughout the tank. The sponge also reproduced in that tank and blue little ones were popping up out of nowhere.

@Kenneth Wingerter I've also dosed the Substrate Sauce in both tanks at one point, finished a bottle, and reverted back to ProBio. From my understanding, the bac in substrate sauce play a more benthic and denitrifying role, to seed the tank, but I also thought since it has the two strains of rhodo bac then it could be a wider nutritional profile for sponges, although even though I target feed, don't know how bioavailable substrate sauce is compared to the ProBio/YelloSno combo. Thoughts?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha if you see the first picture I posted when I started this thread of the blue sponge frag I started with in the nano 13.5 tank, then see the pics I posted of that tank recently here, you'll see the growth and spread of the sponge throughout the tank. The sponge also reproduced in that tank and blue little ones were popping up out of nowhere.

@Kenneth Wingerter I've also dosed the Substrate Sauce in both tanks at one point, finished a bottle, and reverted back to ProBio. From my understanding, the bac in substrate sauce play a more benthic and denitrifying role, to seed the tank, but I also thought since it has the two strains of rhodo bac then it could be a wider nutritional profile for sponges, although even though I target feed, don't know how bioavailable substrate sauce is compared to the ProBio/YelloSno combo. Thoughts?
Where did you get these gorgeous sponges? I am absolutely inspired to give them a shot, your dosing schedule is very similar as what I do for my 75G, to keep my very few hitchhiker sponges going, I'd have to ramp it up 3x to match the concentration though.

None of mine are nearly as pretty.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back