Pocillopora blisters - what’s happening?

Jedimstr34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I upgraded my lighting in my 48 x 18 x 30 to two (2) AP700’s from some decent LED strip lights this past weekend. Have a 2 hour ramp up and down to a 8 hour normal period (total 12 hour photo period) with the 8 set at 45% intensity to allow my few corals to acclimate (I have 4, adding slowly) This tank has cycled and in fact, only mini cycled as it was already established when I bought it but no livestock, just live sand and live rock. I added more live rock, upgraded the sump, added an eshopps 200 skimmer, new gyre pumps, in essence, there is nothing mechanical out of sorts and my Params are right where they should be. I can give them if necessary but I do not believe this issue is water related. Back to the lighting. The coral in the subject has been doing really well. Nice bushy extension, bright color etc. I noticed after the light switch that some of the rear polyps were turning green almost as if there was algae growing or maybe some of the nori I feed the tang was stuck on it. So I did something that I have later found out that I shouldn’t have done. I rubbed it and in doing so, I think I irritated the heck out of it as well as the adjacent branches, which now have these weird blisters. I did some research and at first was terrified that this may be brown jelly syndrome and my heart sank. After looking at pictures though, I don’t think this is it. But I want to get some more experienced opinions. Any thoughts anx help is appreciated

F4AF755F-ED3D-4DA2-A563-FE6E01E2B175.png DFFD68E3-3A59-47EF-AABC-A8CE94F1E3FB.png D69D9107-83D0-4FF4-B7D0-FC48E9D61D96.png 4F7A4E77-CCDA-44B8-82F8-0F0ADB886D56.png

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just spots of dead coral overgrown with algae and bacteria, probably the spots you rubbed died off. Coral doesn't seem to care, it's just not aesthetically pleasing.

OP
OP
Jedimstr34

Jedimstr34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just spots of dead coral overgrown with algae and bacteria, probably the spots you rubbed died off. Coral doesn't seem to care, it's just not
Ok I hope so. It seemed to have turned from pink to green overnight though. Could the new lights have “shocked” it?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks but again, part 2 of my question. Could it be the new lighting and should I lower the intensity or move the coral down in the tank?
Hard to tell, algae will almost always form on dead coral, your coral has a small dead spot, any light would have given you the same result.

If your corals are responding well to the new light then it isn't an issue.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's color changed from pink to green that fast, it may be a minor sign of light stress (compared to bleaching which is a major sign).

It certainly wouldn't hurt to lower the light intensity a little bit, then gradually raise it over the next few weeks.

I have a blue miyagi tort that will fluoresce bright green for a week or two when I increase PAR a little too quickly.

OP
OP
Jedimstr34

Jedimstr34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's color changed from pink to green that fast, it may be a minor sign of light stress (compared to bleaching which is a major sign).

It certainly wouldn't hurt to lower the light intensity a little bit, then gradually raise it over the next few weeks.

I have a blue miyagi tort that will fluoresce bright green for a week or two when I increase PAR a little too quickly.
Thanks for that. I went ahead and dropped the intensity to 35% on the 8 hour peak cycle (just now) so we will see. I love these AP700’s but I think 45% may have been too much to start. Not being able to check PAR, I’m just trying to acclimate right now and like you said, bump it up gradually over the next few weeks. I will have access to a PAR meter then. I know pocillopora can go crazy in the tank and spawn new corals but I’m just trying to keep this one alive.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The color of the coral didn't change, the coral died in some spots (presumably because of the "rubbing") and then algae and cyanos grew on the dead skeleton.

The coral that's still alive looks happy and healthy

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color of the coral didn't change, the coral died in some spots (presumably because of the "rubbing") and then algae and cyanos grew on the dead skeleton.

The coral that's still alive looks happy and healthy
Ummm... read the OPs whole thread. He asked for insight on TWO issues: bubbles (eg. algae on the tips) AND the pocci turning from pink to green overnight...

Thanks for that. I went ahead and dropped the intensity to 35% on the 8 hour peak cycle (just now) so we will see. I love these AP700’s but I think 45% may have been too much to start. Not being able to check PAR, I’m just trying to acclimate right now and like you said, bump it up gradually over the next few weeks. I will have access to a PAR meter then. I know pocillopora can go crazy in the tank and spawn new corals but I’m just trying to keep this one alive.
You may/may not have to worry about the pocillopora going crazy...

It depends on the type.

Pocillopora damicornis is pretty prone to spreading like crazy. I used aqua-cultured rock from Fiji which apparently had some damicornis spores on it ... and yeah, it pops up all over my tank. I have to regularly take measures to keep in check.

AFIAK, Pocillopora verrucosa is much, MUCH less likely to spread ... and is often kept without any problems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back