Pocillopora - I think I got “ebay’d”

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a coral from eBay yesterday, should have been more diligent but the photo caught my eye and the price was solid (to me lol)...

what I paid for and what I got...

I think this save-able, polyps up top do come out... but it looks very rough (lights aren’t on yet and the only photo from me is just before lights out)

thoughts?

3EFF56BD-3193-41BC-B54C-F1A6725DF6A6.png 626EE9E4-B1EA-425A-ABBC-5B8719480F9D.jpeg

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kind of what I’m thinking... send info to seller, reputable ratings wise.

appreciate feedback, thankfully it was an auction price and not retail

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMO the poccilpora is the toughest sps out there Mine survived a major tank crash 3 years ago. Not even my montis lived

that being said it’s sucks the coral doesn’t look like the picture
I would give it plenty of light and flow
Just accumulate it first
this, they literally grow like weeds
(literally sprout n spread uncontrollable weeds!)

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this, they literally grow like weeds
(literally sprout n spread uncontrollable weeds!)
Well not really grow like weeds still an sps but yes as far as sps go it grows like weeds

to me it’s the best beginner sps there is
If you can’t keep it alive don’t try any other sps

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry that thing will have polyp bailout and be all over your tank in no time. Never again will I put a green pocillipora in my tank! It will recover after the shipping and you will more than likely wish it didn't. They do look nice though.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all of your feedback, looks a little better today but will obv be a slow roll for a while

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a tank crash from a heater issue and my poci looked exactly like that after things calmed down and got back in order. That was the first coral to show signs of recovery.

Keep it clean and in proper flow and lights. It will surprise you.

Edit: and then it sends its polyps out to sprout babies everywhere to take over the aquarium.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hesitate to buy from someone who is too lazy to build thier own website and sells exclusively through eBay. 9 years of taking it in the short on eBay and PayPal fees..? How adays you really need to research vendors. So so many hav popped up lately, and alot of them are not very good. Plenty of newer vendors that are not poor, and clearly old ones aren't any better sometimes. Hate to on the small guy, but not too impressed. Looking at the eBay pics, you can see the lower tissue is dead.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillipora use polyp bailout as a common method of reproduction, they don't wait for stress events like other corals.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pocillipora use polyp bailout as a common method of reproduction, they don't wait for stress events like other corals.
Kind of what I mean. Once it recovers and starts to thrive, OP is going to see shiny green things one night swimming around their aquarium with poci's popping up all over the place weeks later.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive and I noticed when I looked more closely in whiter light that the bleached out parts have tons of clear/white polyps extended out... not just a skeleton below...

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always had a white underside because of the way it grows. They have a very thick cauliflower top and that prevents light from getting to the base. Yours looks normal to me, with normal travel stress. They are pretty much bullet proof and I think it will be back to looking like the eBay very shortly.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora is the Xenia of SPS. Learned it is a bad addition when it took over a tank quite a few years ago. Never again!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back