Pod consumption, Rainfords gobies, dragonets, and fang blennies

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I know that biota breeds Rainford gobies and they are supposed to do well on prepared food as long as they can snack on pods as well. I’ve set up a hob fuge and pods are starting to cover the tank glass. I’ve also heard that captive bred fang blennies need some pods to snack on between meals and of course, scooter blennies and red scooter blennies/starry dragonets do as well. If all of the fish were captive bred and eating some prepared food, which, if any, of the following species could be kept in a 40breeder with 5gal fuge? I don’t want to put them all in, I’m just trying to figure out if they’re all equally difficult. Thanks!

1. Rainford goby
2. Canary blenny
3. Blackline blenny
4. Scooter blenny
5. Ocellated dragonet (Synchiropus stellatus)

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump (for others with 40G set-ups)

(i could offer an opinion as i've kept 1, 4 and 5, but no experience with 2 or 3. i have a 180G tank).

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided theres enough pods to sustain a dragonet it should be fine, fang blennies dont pick pods as much as you may be expecting mine very rarely does, only if he sees an amphipod. In that size of tank i would not recommend a rainford goby with a mandarin as they most likely will outcompete each other for food and both emd up starving, you could try however, theres just a chance it might not work. Id recommend a dragonet/rainfords and a fangblenny though, from the choices you've given

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with rainford rather than mandarin unless the mandarin is truly on frozen food. They just consume a lot. Can be done, be prepared to get lots of pods or train them. Some cool serving ideas out there. I have had few mandarins (one died in move, others eaten by haddoni carpets). I have a 210g though. My fang blenny eats a bit of everything from what I can tell.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back