Pod Culture Options for a Mandarin

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm new to the hobby and I'm currently in the process of cycling my 40G NUVO from IM. I'm trying to plan for eventually getting a Mandarin and I'm looking into my best options for establishing a healthy pod count for the fish. I plan on getting a captive bred Mandarin, but I still would like to have ample supply of pods in case of difficulty with eating prepared foods. Here are the options I've been considering:

1. Adding a small DIY refugium in my media basket. I'm concerned this space is too small and I won't be able to keep a high enough population with this method. It's roughly a 4x2 inch space.
  2. Culturing the pods outside the tank. I would prefer not to do this, if at all possible, but I will if it's necessary.
  3. Getting a HOB refugium. Most likely the CPR medium or small. This option is preferable to me, as I would ideally like to have the benefits of the refugium, as well as the added ease of not having to maintain a separate pod culture.
With the HOB refugium, assuming a 2.5-3.6 gallon chamber, would I reliably be able to sustain a healthy enough population for a single Mandarin in my 40G tank?

I'm open to any thoughts or other options here as well!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm new to the hobby and I'm currently in the process of cycling my 40G NUVO from IM. I'm trying to plan for eventually getting a Mandarin and I'm looking into my best options for establishing a healthy pod count for the fish. I plan on getting a captive bred Mandarin, but I still would like to have ample supply of pods in case of difficulty with eating prepared foods. Here are the options I've been considering:

1. Adding a small DIY refugium in my media basket. I'm concerned this space is too small and I won't be able to keep a high enough population with this method. It's roughly a 4x2 inch space.
  2. Culturing the pods outside the tank. I would prefer not to do this, if at all possible, but I will if it's necessary.
  3. Getting a HOB refugium. Most likely the CPR medium or small. This option is preferable to me, as I would ideally like to have the benefits of the refugium, as well as the added ease of not having to maintain a separate pod culture.
With the HOB refugium, assuming a 2.5-3.6 gallon chamber, would I reliably be able to sustain a healthy enough population for a single Mandarin in my 40G tank?

I'm open to any thoughts or other options here as well!
One of my tanks is a 40g and my Mandarin was able to completely wipe out the pod population, even though it also eats frozen food. After you feed the tank, the Mandarin will spend the rest its time eating anything it finds. Think of them as hummingbirds of the tank...non-stop eating.

My only suggestion would be to not have a Mandarin in tanks that small (lesson learned by me). Your other option, number 2, is probably the best, so you can constantly replenish the pods as they are eaten.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option that I am about to do is make a “Display Refugium.” I don’t have enough space in the sump so this is the next best thing. It’ll house pods and chaeto and some livestock

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks is a 40g and my Mandarin was able to completely wipe out the pod population, even though it also eats frozen food. After you feed the tank, the Mandarin will spend the rest its time eating anything it finds. Think of them as hummingbirds of the tank...non-stop eating.

My only suggestion would be to not have a Mandarin in tanks that small (lesson learned by me). Your other option, number 2, is probably the best, so you can constantly replenish the pods as they are eaten.
T-J, did you also have a fuge in your 40g? I'm curious as to whether or not that would help with this. I figured the Mandarin would wipe out in the display alone, but maybe the fuge would help?

I'm totally willing to culture the pods separately, as I really love the look of a Mandarin. It's a large part of the reason I got into this in the first place.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-J, did you also have a fuge in your 40g? I'm curious as to whether or not that would help with this. I figured the Mandarin would wipe out in the display alone, but maybe the fuge would help?

I'm totally willing to culture the pods separately, as I really love the look of a Mandarin. It's a large part of the reason I got into this in the first place.
No, I don't on my 40. My 120g has a large fuge, which houses pods and chateo. Even with a small fuge on the 40, I think you'd still have to constantly re-supply the DT. Others with Mandarins can chime in, but I'm just going off of my experience of having a Mandarin.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't on my 40. My 120g has a large fuge, which houses pods and chateo. Even with a small fuge on the 40, I think you'd still have to constantly re-supply the DT. Others with Mandarins can chime in, but I'm just going off of my experience of having a Mandarin.
Ok! Thank you for reply! I'll keep looking into easy options for culturing the pods in the meantime.

Another thing I've come across in my research on this is a pod hotel. Has anyone used these with any success? Wondering if a few of these in the fuge or display could help boost their numbers at all.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank your size I would vote number 2 since the population will likely be wiped out constantly. I got the poseidon reef system and it takes me 10-15 mins a week to take care of the culture. Never ending pods.
I also feed mine baby brine shrimp I hatch with the dish hatchery and use a paul B feeder. Also takes only 5-10 mins.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank your size I would vote number 2 since the population will likely be wiped out constantly. I got the poseidon reef system and it takes me 10-15 mins a week to take care of the culture. Never ending pods.
I also feed mine baby brine shrimp I hatch with the dish hatchery and use a paul B feeder. Also takes only 5-10 mins.
I'm looking at the Poseidon Reef systems now. Not sure how I didn't find these before! It seems like a premade version of the DIY solutions I've seen online. I might end up going this route, as it looks to be about the same price as the refugium I was looking at. It seems like it'll be much more effective for what I'm trying to accomplish as well.

I read about the Paul B feeder before, but I'm reviewing that now. Seems like a great way to help them feed.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a captive bred mandarin, and he/she is the ONLY exclusive pod eater, and you have a lot of rock which is 1 year old, that should work.

After 1 year, pods should be able to sustain one exclusive eater without doing anything.

This one has not been fed in 4 years.
50C65AEE-F686-4EB2-BBF3-25DE41FEBFC4.jpeg

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a captive bred mandarin, and he/she is the ONLY exclusive pod eater, and you have a lot of rock which is 1 year old, that should work.

After 1 year, pods should be able to sustain one exclusive eater without doing anything.

This one has not been fed in 4 years.
50C65AEE-F686-4EB2-BBF3-25DE41FEBFC4.jpeg
Nice looking fish!

I have probably 20 pounds of rock, but I used dry rock and the tank has only been up for a week or so. The rock takes up quite a bit of my display and I don't think I could reasonbly add any more. I'm not looking to get the Mandarin until I know I can sustain it's appetite. After growing a good culture outside of the tank and seeding for a few weeks to months, I assume I'd be clear to add a Mandarin?

As for the rest of my stocking plan, I probably am looking at a clown and a blenny, maybe one other passive fish. The Mandarin would be the only one exclusively eating pods.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me in a 40B, I would culture pods.

I have an 80G cube and culture pods for my mandy, but I also have 3 wrasses that eat pods.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the Poseidon Reef systems now. Not sure how I didn't find these before! It seems like a premade version of the DIY solutions I've seen online. I might end up going this route, as it looks to be about the same price as the refugium I was looking at. It seems like it'll be much more effective for what I'm trying to accomplish as well.

I read about the Paul B feeder before, but I'm reviewing that now. Seems like a great way to help them feed.
I tried DIY ones a couple times. I sucked at it haha. Then got the poseidon ones and they are as simple as they come. And they have more than paid for themselves. Plus you get culture replacements if your's crashes. (Mine crashed only once in 2+ years now)
If you are good at DIY you can try that too.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried DIY ones a couple times. I sucked at it haha. Then got the poseidon ones and they are as simple as they come. And they have more than paid for themselves. Plus you get culture replacements if your's crashes. (Mine crashed only once in 2+ years now)
If you are good at DIY you can try that too.
I'm ok at DIY at best, so I'll probably go that route! Since this is a new tank I'm wondering if I should buy these now and use them to seed the tank, or if I should wait until the system is more established. I know having pods can't hurt, so I'm thinking I'll order these soon and start adding pods sooner than later.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way you'll have to buy the initial pods. Whether seeding your tank, your starting a culture.

I followed this route, and buy their phyto(which I freeze like the DIY). It's super simple, and I haven't had a culture crash yet.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you culture gave or tigger pods?

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ok at DIY at best, so I'll probably go that route! Since this is a new tank I'm wondering if I should buy these now and use them to seed the tank, or if I should wait until the system is more established. I know having pods can't hurt, so I'm thinking I'll order these soon and start adding pods sooner than later.
You should buy now, seed the tank for at least a couple months before buying the goby. Especially since you didnt start with live rock. Best to wait As long as you can.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. I have 3 Poseidon jars. Phyto in one. Tisbee in another and Tig on the 3rd.
I was thinking about starting up Tiggers on my 3rd jar as well did you have to do anything special? Or treated it same as Tisbee?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back