Pod Eater That Isn’t a Mandarin???

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently, about a month ago, setup a new tank. The DT is 130g. I’ve added pods from three different vendors for diversity. When I wake up I’ve got 5,763,935 pods all over my glass and the fish I currently have don’t seem interested in them at all. Maybe a peck here and there.

Besides mandarin are there any fish you’d recommend that would enjoy these critters full-time?

I’m also concerned with compatibility based on the current fish I have. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Current Fish:
Purple Tang
Flame Angel
KwaZulu Wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
Red Head Solon Wrasse
Pink Margin Wrasse
Bangaii Pair
Yellow Watchman Goby with Pistol Shrimp

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got pods in my fuge, but never see any in the DT. I always attributed that to the melenaurus wrasse and flame hawk. Kind of surprised that your wrasses don't eat them.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I swear I have seen my flame hawkfish pecking pods off the glass. He also eats everything! So it wouldn’t be a steady diet of pods. And I could also be wrong maybe he’s just weird and likes to peck the glass.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband, leopard wrasses, melanarus wrasse and the bellus angel in my tank all eat pods(amphipods and copepods). Not recommending you go out to get the copperband and the leopards without research first. As they are in the harder to keep category.

When I had a purple tang, it too would eat the amphipods.

If you are in Northern VA, I would send some my fish to your smorgasbord.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy wrasses will eat pods, so will most halichoris wrasses. Most of the reef safe butterfly’s will. pipefish live Ailey of of pods. And damsels will eat pods sometimes too. There’s a lot of options, maybe try knocking some off your glass and seeing if your fish go after floating ones?

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy wrasses will eat pods, so will most halichoris wrasses. Most of the reef safe butterfly’s will. pipefish live Ailey of of pods. And damsels will eat pods sometimes too. There’s a lot of options, maybe try knocking some off your glass and seeing if your fish go after floating ones?
When I do they may pick off a few here and there, but nothing to make a dent in the population.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are slow moving fish but they stick around structures and etc most of the times anyways. Shouldn't be too big of an issue. Unless its really hurricane like in your system.
It’s not crazy flow since it’s a peninsula. I’d say only the upper most third of the tank would be an SPS worthy area for flow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back