Pod Eater That Isn’t a Mandarin???

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
halichoeres wrasses are a risk to inverts which is why they're in the not reef safe zone

i have h. chrysus and h. biocellatus and they don't seem to do much damage to CUC. i recently added a tiny peppermint shrimp and they left it alone

the larger halichoeres are more of a risk the bigger they get

i have tons of pods in my sump, but not many to be seen in the DT

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need to worry about a Yellow Coris demolishing these? I’ve got tons in my tank, but wouldn’t want to lose them.
9254FF40-9D00-4A3F-B9BB-57110B4AE5C0.jpeg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the Yellow Coris. Are there any concerns with them picking at corals? I see them listed as a Fish-Only wrasse.
Perfectly safe with corals. They might make a snack of the occasional snail or crab which is why they're listed as Reef safe w/ Caution.

Your feather dusters are safe.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please tell where you got the pods.... ive added bottle after bottle and cant see a single one
I added two jars of the 5280 from AlgaeBarn, and a bottle each of Reef Nutrition And Mike’s Phyto Tigger Pods. I also know I got a bunch from a fellow local Reefer that gave me some chaeto for my fuge.

With the AlgaeBarn jars I ran an air line to each one and fed their Phyto for a couple weeks before adding. The jars were overloaded with pods by the time I added them.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious, why don't you want a mandarin? most people would love to have your problem lol
Don’t get me wrong, they’re beautiful fish and I’ve had them in the past. I’m just leaning toward other fish with my new tank. I haven’t had a Ruby Red before and that’s on my potential list, but we’ll see. I’m liking the Yellow Coris or Pipefish idea.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrapped my glass today before lights came on but either tomorrow or the next day I’ll get a pic to show y’all what I’m dealing with. Not that it’s a bad thing at all, but dang I hate to see this kind of pod population and have no fish that are enjoying it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got pods in my fuge, but never see any in the DT. I always attributed that to the melenaurus wrasse and flame hawk. Kind of surprised that your wrasses don't eat them.
Me too. They have no interest in them.

Fairy wrasse don't generally eat pods....maybe occasionally. They eat from the water column. Halichoeres wrasses are no threat to corals and only the larger species are any real threat to inverts. I've kept H. melanurus, H. chrysotaenia, H. claudia, H. chrysus, H. biocellatus and right now have a 6"+ H. melasampomas and none of them have ever eaten an invert in my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back