Pods everywhere

Spejz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had Copepods(2 antennas and tail, last picture) in my tank since I bought it 7 months ago. In the recent weeks I have noticed another most likely pod, that's all over the glass. They can be different sizes, max 0.5 mm. The bigger they get the more black they seem to have on their bodies. There is also a variant that looks like 2 connected bodies.
What can this be? Thanks for the help!

20210915_172804.jpg

20210915_174426.jpg

Copepod

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like the copepods known to be problematic. They are known to target corals. wetwebmedia lists this particular variety as targeting lps coral. Unfortunately, they can cause alot of damage. People have had success killing them off with Interseptor. Certain fish will also eat them. You can probably find threads about it on the forum. You'll definitely want to get rid of them. You also may want to get rid of those Asterina starfish as well. They can be pests too and multiply quickly. I wish I had better news.
1631869344811.png

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I hope you keep enjoying it. All the profits go to MS research in my wife's name. :)

Now that I see the video I don't know what they are. They look like flatworms in the still, but they move to fast in the video.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I hope you keep enjoying it. All the profits go to MS research in my wife's name. :)

Now that I see the video I don't know what they are. They look like flatworms in the still, but they move to fast in the video.
Yeah, with the movement, they're pods. I can see the antennae as well. It's the definitive black band that has me worried.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefgroupie, Thank You. Where do you live? I am out east on the North Fork near Riverhead.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great, do I need to buy a book now? I read a lot of dr axelrodi's stuff, bob fenner, who was the other guy... julian sprung. And to add to the ancient old collection, paul b! I guess I should. Next month. I don't read on kindel well. I rather have a paper back.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mibu, no need to read my book. Besides that I disagreed with Dr. Axelrod over many things but he was basically a fresh water guy. Julian Sprung is a Noob but Bob Fenner was very good and knowledgeable.

I on the other hand am just an old retired electrician with a fish tank. :oops:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mibu, no need to read my book. Besides that I disagreed with Dr. Axelrod over many things but he was basically a fresh water guy. Julian Sprung is a Noob but Bob Fenner was very good and knowledgeable.

I on the other hand am just an old retired electrician with a fish tank. :oops:
Everyone has their ideas and studies. No need to say it's not worth a read. I did like a lot of what bob fenner wrote and still visit wetweb today.

Axlerod was my intro into the actual care of aquatic life. I was tired of fish store advise. 8 yrs old and I knew they didn't have a clue on what they were telling me.

Honestly, they just said garbage to sell stuff.

Jack dempsy do not belong in a fish bowl with betta fish. That's when I knew, I needed more information.

OP
OP
Spejz

Spejz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like the copepods known to be problematic. They are known to target corals. wetwebmedia lists this particular variety as targeting lps coral. Unfortunately, they can cause alot of damage. People have had success killing them off with Interseptor. Certain fish will also eat them. You can probably find threads about it on the forum. You'll definitely want to get rid of them. You also may want to get rid of those Asterina starfish as well. They can be pests too and multiply quickly. I wish I had better news.
Thank you for the answer, you might be right on this one!
But I have a hard time trying to get more information about these things. I found the site you referred to where they call them Cyclopepod. But googling Cyclopepod gives no other results than that site or other sites referencing that one :S

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's because it's not a legitimate term. The person with the problem referred to them as that as a joke. They were talking with Bob Fenner about getting rid of them at the time. The person had lost alot of lps coral to those things. From what I can tell, this variety isn't very common. The "Black Bugs" that target sps are far more common. I'd treat these like them.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cycloepod is a copepod riding a bicycle.

Copepod.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the answer, you might be right on this one!
But I have a hard time trying to get more information about these things. I found the site you referred to where they call them Cyclopepod. But googling Cyclopepod gives no other results than that site or other sites referencing that one :S
I could be wrong, there really isn't an easy way to search for micro pests. There are common pests, who are a lot easier to find. And, these guys which wont show up all over the place. Do you have any corals? Maybe look into fish who graze on pods. How big is your system?

OP
OP
Spejz

Spejz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to find some more information. I found this thread and some comments on the Youtube video:

In the video they look very similar, with some pods also looking like 2 are "connected". 2 persons reported that they have these but their mandarin fish would not eat them. No report of them damaging lps.

Some corals I have are Green Star Polyp and Palythoa, they do not look the best but I think that is mostly because of high phosphate. I tried to inspect the corals but can't see these pods around really, but then they are small and hard to spot.

As of now I will wait and see what happens, and thanks for the replies!

OP
OP
Spejz

Spejz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, there really isn't an easy way to search for micro pests. There are common pests, who are a lot easier to find. And, these guys which wont show up all over the place. Do you have any corals? Maybe look into fish who graze on pods. How big is your system?
Thanks for the reply! As I just added above, I found 2 people that seem to have these pods but their mandarin fish would ignore them. Otherwise that would have been nice to get, but now I'm not sure.

My system is a RSR 170 L (45 gal). Got mostly soft corals and some gsp and paly.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back