Pods in Chaeto - Did I want them?

Mark917

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased chaeto from local reefer and it’s been sitting in my coral qt for about 2 weeks. I read where folks bayer dip, revive dip, then rinse before putting in refugium so that’s what I did. Dipped in bayer at Billy Pipes 160ml per gallon rate for 10 mins then Revive for 10 mins. It is now sitting in dt water on rinse 2. I did see a bunch of pods (see pic). Aren’t these hood or does the benefit of killing these outweighs the negatives of not (i.e. not killing everything and just adding to refugium)?

0E9CB720-82BD-40D3-95FC-4D9D15358761.jpeg

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are great. Its other things like ich that worry me. I qt anything, including chaeto, for 80 to 90 days (many say 73 dsys is enough) to let ich live out its lifespan in a fishless environment

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are amphipods and good part of your clean up crew. But it depends on what direction you want your aquarium to go whether you want them or not. They will eat your copepods so if you want that then maybe not good.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely amphipods just make sure they’re not cirlonoid amphipods as those are parasitic and will latch onto your fish. Fairly easy to tell with their big devilish eyes. The ones pictured look curled up so I believe they’re not cirlonoid but it’ll be worth it to look up a picture and do a quick comparison

OP
OP
M

Mark917

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I checked the chaeto again after the rinse and looks good. Baby brittle in there that didn’t make it either.

At this point, with no other evidence of bad hitchhikers would you advise putting in fuge?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back