PODS IN MY PROBES! Could this be the cause of reading discrepancies??

Do you think pods contribute to false probe readings?

• I do, and I mitigate it with some action.....(elaborate below).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I have been reading around in the forums lately because my Apex probes have been throwing some wacky readings. Turns out this isn't totally unusual, but I found something while attempting to recalibrate my salinity probe. Before starting, I dipped the probe in some fresh RO to have the best possible starting point, and continued with the other steps; "dry probe, place in 35ppm solution," etc. While waiting for the program to prompt the next step, I happened to look over at my cup of RO used to rinse the probe, and there were tons of pods in it! I realized my probes might be throwing off readings because of these little dudes!

My questions are, has anyone had this problem, and have you put something around the probe tips, like mesh or something to prevent pods from hiding out in them?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’ll likely do it

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you make sure that sensor wires do not run next to other wires in your your system. Specifically AC device such as heaters and pumps. The AC current actually generates voltage in wires near it with no electrical contact. (induction) and it can be pretty hard to tell when a heater is turning on and off and it may look like your probe reading randomly jumps. If the wires need to run next to each other, you may want to investigate shielding the wires with a metal mesh tape, that will eliminate or reduce the effect.

Depends on the probe, but pods could absolutely change the measured conductivity of the salinity probe. Sounds like an experiment needs to be tried! Get 2 cups of the same water, one podless one podfull and see if one spikes occasionally

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back