Pods in Refugium

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a separate refugium thread but that is more for the build and set up. My question here is on adding pods.

I added pods today to the refugium. It is not yet plumbed to the main display. I had a bio wheel hob filter running just for flow and oxygen while the tank cycles (37 gal display refugium).

Concerned that the new pod population would get filtered, I shut it off and put in an air stone. It will e a couple weeks before I get the two tanks plumbed.

Can I/should I run the filter?
Will it harm my pods. I saw a few on the glass tonight
Should I take one of the wave makers out of the main tank and use that instead? I just added a second one to help battle cyano so hate to move that one.
I could also run the power filter without the carbon/foam and just let the bio wheel run or take all out and just let it move water.

I also added one small portion of chaeto? I have half in my main tank in a basket sucktion cupped to the glass to help with nitrates until I get the two tanks plumbed. Waiting for new tank to cycle
Took half of this and put it in the refugium tank. Refugium is cloudy as I added a bunch of rubble rock today
20170325_212513_resized.jpg

20170325_212505_resized.jpg

Sean Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The improvement of the water quality would out-weigh the occasional pod taken in by the filter. Also, less salt creep than air stone.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you feed the tank and the pods will bloom. You won't have to worry about losing a few.

Feed what your feeding the othe r tank btw nothing special. I used flake foods and pellets as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back