PODS & PUMPS...

Coeurdenuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can pods survive going through a return pump back into the aquarium? I am trying to figure out a good option for a Fuge for a Waterbox cube (20g) that I am about to set up in my office.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so based on reading here. I hope so because I’ve been seeding my sump under the premise they will get into the DT.

Acon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same question a year ago. They can. I am sure some may get injured/die, but they will eventually colonize the LR in your display tank and live in the fuge in your sump. Not a problem.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can pods survive going through a return pump back into the aquarium? I am trying to figure out a good option for a Fuge for a Waterbox cube (20g) that I am about to set up in my office.

They can make it through, especially the nauplii (larval phase). There is actually a paper detailing how Parvocalanus crassirostris adults where pumped from one tank to another via a mag drive pump. Very few mortalities. Considering this species is a Calanoid copepod and can be tricky to culture, it was amazing to all of us copepod enthusiasts. Here is the title and authors of the paper:

Development of intensive copepod culture technology for Parvocalanus crassirostris: Optimizing adult density
DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2014.09.022
Authors:
M. Dean Kline
M. Dean Kline

Charles W. Laidley
Charles W. Laidley

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clint Eastwood.gif

Welcome, by the way to R2R. I've had fish survive a trip through the return pump so pods can certainly do so. None the less, I set up my system so my refugiums return directly into the DT so they don't have to go through a pump.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80's, 90's, early 2000's a concern, no more. The majority survive. They populate quick if conditions right.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back