Pods rock manderin cycle

Marty_D1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Can 50kg of rock on about 2” of live sand hold enough copepods to look after a mandarin dragonet and breed enough so he/her will not wipe out the colony?

the new aquarium would be fully based around the manderin.

My initial thinking … cycle the tank, introduce thousands and thousands of pods and let them settle for a few weeks etc. Then introduce the dragon?

the tank will be built for me and be 28” x 28” bu 36” high. (50kg of dry rock)
The sump they’ve said they’ll build for it will be 30 x 17 x 17" split in 3 equal parts, so if absolutely essential a refugium is possible. Just if the 50kg of rock and sand will suffice I’ll go without.

cheers people.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure to do some more research on the mandarian, that might be sufficient for a day or two if they repopulate, but without a refugium and them breeding, the mandarian is likely to wipe out that pod population quickly. You can always start a pod culture and culture your own to continue to feed the tank and keep it supplied with pods.

Biota has also captive raised mandrians where they are eating frozen foods/pellets now. Obviously they will still eat pods, but this is an option I would recommend exploring!

OP
OP
M

Marty_D1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply.

so I’ll go for a fuge.
It will be an 11 gallon fuge. I’ll see how the pods go breeding in there and see if it’s enough to keep the dragon fed.

cheers

Back