PODS: Should you see them in your tank?

Do you actively see "pods" in your reef aquarium?

• No never

Votes: 99 13.7%
  • Very seldom

Votes: 193 26.7%
  • Yes often

Votes: 291 40.2%
  • Yes a ton of them

Votes: 125 17.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.1%

• Total voters

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's awesome, threebuoys! do you have chaeto in your sump? what do you have down there? i was hoping to just get away with seeding the extra live rock i have down there?
I do not have chaeto. wish I had room for it. I'm a bit unconventional. I do not have rocks or bricks in my sump. I have filter foam for my biological media in the sump. Several large thick flat pieces. They are crawling with pods. Some in the chamber before the sump, some in the sump chamber, and some in the chamber after the sump before the return chamber.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have huge explosions of copepods during/after cycling but cannot keep them after the tank has settled no matter how many I add and how much I attempt to feed them. Though I do have a healthy amount of amphipods at all times.

I love having them when possible for the fish' sake and to watch them do their thing.
Your amphipods are eating the copepods.

michelle_y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk copepods, amphipods, pods in general and more specifically should you see them active in your reef tank! "Let’s just get this straight: Copepods are always a good thing to have in an aquarium. First, they do absolutely no harm. In fact, because their favorite food is stuff like suspended particulate matter, detritus, and film algae, they add punch to your clean-up crew. They are also an excellent, natural, nutritious food source for corals and small reef fish." - AlgaeBarn

1. Do you actively see "pods" in your reef aquarium? None, a little, a lot?

2. Do you care if you have "pods" in your tank or not?

image via @alex.mccann99
4d27bebc0a9020e6342116f2a157bbed.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4783.MOV
    34.3 MB

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a food source for most critters in your tank, they don't really come out much with the lights on. If you use a flashlight at night you should see them out and about though.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very seldom during the day. During the night however? They are EVERYWHERE.

As long as their population stays in check, I’m ok with it. They do a decent job of CUC.

Mu dottyback eats any and every pod he sees, so I’m happy about that.

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose pods and baby brine. Then feed phytoplankton, I have a Mandarin to keep happy. But I do see them in my display at night, they swarm in the water column. They are stupid dense in our fuge.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods can definitely wreak havoc if the population gets out of control. I have seen them aggressively steal food from corals and anemones and irritate BTAs to the point of deflating. I caught a few large ones devouring a $30 dragons breath algae frag. This has made me think twice about a fishles tank. You need predators to keep the population down, otherwise it will get out of control.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods can definitely wreak havoc if the population gets out of control. I have seen them aggressively steal food from corals and anemones and irritate BTAs to the point of deflating. I caught a few large ones devouring a $30 dragons breath algae frag. This has made me think twice about a fishles tank. You need predators to keep the population down, otherwise it will get out of control.

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk copepods, amphipods, pods in general and more specifically should you see them active in your reef tank! "Let’s just get this straight: Copepods are always a good thing to have in an aquarium. First, they do absolutely no harm. In fact, because their favorite food is stuff like suspended particulate matter, detritus, and film algae, they add punch to your clean-up crew. They are also an excellent, natural, nutritious food source for corals and small reef fish." - AlgaeBarn

image via @alex.mccann99
Im starting with saltwater.... getting my tank in a month or few weeks.. Are these harmful? Will they kill perculas? Will they kill anemones? How to control them in a 10g? If i see them should i do a 100% water change??? Oh god these crustaceans are scary (they are crustaceans right?)..... The amount of stress in marine, phew!

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have little ones all over the glass on the tank at work. I've never seen them that big.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is other.
In display, sometimes see them but I'm sure they get eaten pretty quick.
Now if you look in my sump, that's where you can find a ton of them running around. In the refuge, around the rocks, all over.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I knew your secret
I have a mandarin that eats copepods. I think the biggest mistake that people have made with copepods is not thinking to feed them. People think nutrients in the water is enough. I’ve started dosing frozen cyclopods into my tank by injecting them into the rockwork. Since then, my copepod population has exploded and I see them everywhere on my glass and on the rockwork now. Good luck!

Nicklepickle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @alex.mccann99

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My spotted Mandarin keeps them on their toes, so I don't see them out in the open too often. If I take a second to look in / around / under coral and rockwork, I can always find someone skittering around.

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trouble seeing copepods in my refugium. I have seen them in the containers when I add them so I know they are there. My refugium is a translucent HDPE container with an open top. How do I see them best?
Try putting a red lens (red balloon will work) over a flashlight after lights out and check, I never see mine in the daylight but with this trick can see them scurrying everywhere after lights out

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put mandarins in our tanks. I've found that overtime if you let the pods take over they can start irritating things and its so much easier to deal with the problem before its actually a problem than it is to scurry afterwards lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back