Poletti Jawbreaker Care??

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

just scored a nice piece of polleti jawbreakers. Any suggestions on the care requirements ? I have a 15 g nano. Hopefully try and grow these things out. I hope they survive. Let me know what you think. I know mushrooms are typically easy but I’m not sure about jawbreakers? Been in the hobby for 8 years and never cared for this type. Also the frags I bought are both red and yellow. Can the green come through when it matures or does it have to be present on the babies? Thanks peeps!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special care wise. treat it like any other mushroom. not sure about the coloration part.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special care wise. treat it like any other mushroom. not sure about the coloration part.
@A Young reefer Have you grown these personally?

My experience has not been that they are just like any other mushroom.

They require low (almost no) flow. They color up best in lower light. If their requirements are not met, the become detached from their substrate and it's a total nightmare to get them to stick again. Most mushrooms become a nuisance at some point. Frankly, these are the only mushroom I've kept that needs special care. They take forever to get established. They are beautiful but a complete pain.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

just scored a nice piece of polleti jawbreakers. Any suggestions on the care requirements ? I have a 15 g nano. Hopefully try and grow these things out. I hope they survive. Let me know what you think. I know mushrooms are typically easy but I’m not sure about jawbreakers? Been in the hobby for 8 years and never cared for this type. Also the frags I bought are both red and yellow. Can the green come through when it matures or does it have to be present on the babies? Thanks peeps!
sorry-- didn't touch on coloration in my last post. With jawbreakers, colors come with time, stability, more time, and less light, and more time. It may take some time. you probably can get green out of them....eventually.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A Young reefer Have you grown these personally?

My experience has not been that they are just like any other mushroom.

They require low (almost no) flow. They color up best in lower light. If their requirements are not met, the become detached from their substrate and it's a total nightmare to get them to stick again. Most mushrooms become a nuisance at some point. Frankly, these are the only mushroom I've kept that needs special care. They take forever to get established. They are beautiful but a complete pain.
yes I did keep them. the conditions you mentioned; low flow, low light is what I grew most of my mushrooms under. Hence that's why I treat them like other mushrooms. And yes they do take sometime to get established, which is also something I experienced with other shrooms.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I did keep them. the conditions you mentioned; low flow, low light is what I grew most of my mushrooms under. Hence that's why I treat them like other mushrooms. And yes they do take sometime to get established, which is also something I experienced with other shrooms.
ah I see. When I read "like other mushrooms" what I think is "grows like a kenya tree" not "grows like other very specialized mushrooms."

These guys require such low flow that I find it hard to grow them in my mixed reef. I have many other more typical mushrooms that require no special care whatsoever.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah I see. When I read "like other mushrooms" what I think is "grows like a kenya tree" not "grows like other very specialized mushrooms."

These guys require such low flow that I find it hard to grow them in my mixed reef. I have many other more typical mushrooms that require no special care whatsoever.
I apologize for the confusion.
Most of my "designer" shrooms grow in the back of my tank where there is barely any flow and moderate lightning.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i s the difference between poletti and a regular JB? Not an electus but the bumpy type I see? I have a JB I bought as just a JB. It has a crazy shine to it and insanely bright and a small red streak coming in!. Arent JBs kind of dull? Mine is almost metallic Its so tiny that i cant see if it has any bumps! It actually seems to be getting smaller instead of bigger! He has got himself attached to the bottom of the plastic mushroom box and half stuck in between the holes! Half his body is insde the cage other half on outside and cant get him to budge and scared to try to hard and loose him! Any recommendations to get him unstuck?

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i s the difference between poletti and a regular JB? Not an electus but the bumpy type I see? I have a JB I bought as just a JB. It has a crazy shine to it and insanely bright and a small red streak coming in!. Arent JBs kind of dull? Mine is almost metallic Its so tiny that i cant see if it has any bumps! It actually seems to be getting smaller instead of bigger! He has got himself attached to the bottom of the plastic mushroom box and half stuck in between the holes! Half his body is insde the cage other half on outside and cant get him to budge and scared to try to hard and loose him! Any recommendations to get him unstuck?
I would leave him alone. If you really want to get him unstuck increase the flow in the cage he won’t like it and he will move. Also mushrooms tend to like higher nutrients make sure your phos and nitrate are elevated. Update on my shroom he finally attached to a piece of rubble and is doing great. He even spit out another foot ! So excited!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave him alone. If you really want to get him unstuck increase the flow in the cage he won’t like it and he will move. Also mushrooms tend to like higher nutrients make sure your phos and nitrate are elevated. Update on my shroom he finally attached to a piece of rubble and is doing great. He even spit out another foot ! So excited!
Thanks. He finally moved a bit but actually shrunk! I fiannly have him attached to a piece of rock but of corse it was the side of the orck so being it was in a box and on the side he wasnt getting much light or flow so maybe thats why he shrunk! I moved the little rock out of the box so he can get more light but hopefully he dosnt detach because he is so tiny I iwll never find him!

I have another one maybe1/2 pretty tiny as well! How big before they have babies? How big is yours and how didi you even spot a piece of the foot if its small? I cant get babies out of any of my shrooms at all! I heard they need to be able to roam free i nthe tank MIne just sit there though and dont move so how do you get them to leave a piece of their foot?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back