Poll: Aiptasia Removal - What Has Worked for You?

Aiptasia Removal - What Has Worked for You?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 249 38.8%
  • Berghia Nudibranches

Votes: 75 11.7%
  • Copperband Butterflyfish

Votes: 70 10.9%
  • Matted Filefish

Votes: 60 9.3%
  • Kalk Paste

Votes: 66 10.3%
  • Boiling Water

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Laser

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Majano Wand

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Aiptasia-X

Votes: 199 31.0%
  • Other

Votes: 90 14.0%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an often asked question so let's see what you've tried and has worked. Multiple choices are allowed. Somehow we all end up with them so let's see which has worked the best for folks.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the 75g to avoid some pests but did grab about five pounds of live rock for some seeding and bio-diversity. Naturally, one of the rocks had some aiptasia on it that I didnt see prior to introduction to the tank. They quickly migrated to one of the base rocks toward the back of the tank, making them hard to see (smart little punks). I'd used Aiptasia X in the past and found it useless in a healthy tank as they'd rebound quickly (knocked them down but never seemed to kill them). I'd read about the boiling water in a syringe and gave it a shot (no pun intended). I wasnt successful on the first attempt but about a week later, I used a much larger syringe for injecting turkeys and finished them off (three of them that I could see). I've been aiptasia free for 18 months now :) They were in very close proximity to some mushrooms but they were unaffected by the hot water as it dissipated rapidly apparently.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted filefish but I’ve also had luck with 1/3 pearlscale butterflies with both majanos and aiptasia. But better luck with the hardier matted filefish. Another huge benefit of the matted filefish is that you can EASILY remove them should they start munching coral. They hang out at the top of the tank and are very slow moving/stupid. A simple net gets the job done!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia, gram for gram they’re worth their weight in gold!
Something must always eat the berghia I buy! Wrasse I suspect!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an often asked question so let's see what you've tried and has worked. Multiple choices are allowed. Somehow we all end up with them so let's see which has worked the best for folks.
I had a few small anemones years ago that i injected with lime juice. Used a 1ml syringe with small needle. Worked like a charm. May not be feasible with large populations, but 3 small anrmones was no match.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a serious aiptasia outbreak (thankfully) which I attribute to starting with dry rock and being very careful about the frags I buy and such. That being said I still get at least one aiptasia every 6-7 months. If I can't get ahold of a peppermint shrimp or two, my go to method has always been to simply bury that sucker in epoxy stick. Sure you get a white (or purple if you use the purple colored stuff) spot on your rock that may look unsightly until coralline covers it up, but it's worked every time for me :)

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ripping everything out, running FW through my system for a few days, and then starting over with new sand, dry rocks, etc...Seriously...My Aiptasia outbreak in my 90G pretty much 'FORCED' me to upgrade. :)

I've tried Aiptasia-X, Joes Juice, a Kalk Slurry, Boiling RO Water, etc...This helps manage things, but there's always Aiptasia that you can never reach, or if you don't get them good enough they come back with vengeance.

I've tried Copperbands, Peppermint Shrimp, etc...I think I just feed to much so they never really took interest in eating Aiptasia and my last Copperband found the Acans to be MUCH more tasty.

Trying Beghia Nudibranchs right now and maybe like everything else in this hobby, good things will come with patience.

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience is that every single aptasia i eliminate ( minimum of 6 treatments ) with Aptasia X another 12 appear. after 6 months of this circus i am in the process of purchasing Bergia nudibranchs.

This was also my experience with AX. I felt like I'd never win and let them live. One day I got a copperband (not for aiptasia) and it happened to eat the little things. They're all gone now. I think it's best to get something that actively eats them since they release spores to reproduce constantly

estebanb450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a serious aiptasia outbreak (thankfully) which I attribute to starting with dry rock and being very careful about the frags I buy and such. That being said I still get at least one aiptasia every 6-7 months. If I can't get ahold of a peppermint shrimp or two, my go to method has always been to simply bury that sucker in epoxy stick. Sure you get a white (or purple if you use the purple colored stuff) spot on your rock that may look unsightly until coralline covers it up, but it's worked every time for me :)

Might give this epoxy a shot never thought of doing that.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had aiptasia in my sump, from some LR I got from a fellow reefer. I didn't see them. So I borrowed a pair of file fish and they took care of the problem and I returned them. I think I'll buy myself one to have.

The aiptasia made its way into my DT. Wasn't a lot, I used Aiptasia X on those I can see, then I got a pair of peppermint shrimps. I haven't seen any aiptasia in a while.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back